Do you line your Grease Pan with foil?

smoker pete

After a few smokes/cooks, my MAK 2 Star Grease Pan looked the worst for wear. Decided to clean it. It's been soaking in a large sink in the laundry room but the burnt on residue is not really coming off :(

Guess I should have lined the Grease Pan when it was new with foil. I'm going to clean it as best I can and then line it with foil before returning it to the MAK.

How many use foil? Other than having it get nasty and crusted what harm would it do to just leave it unlined? If left unlined, can it introduce unwanted odors/smoke into the next cook?

Course, for the cleaning cycle when I need to remove it to access the ash, cooking pot, etc it will not only be nasty and crusty but also greasy!

squirtthecat

I usually line mine with foil. Sometimes I forget (or get lazy). Get a cheap - dedicated - metal putty knife, that will help carve the funk right off..

scooter

Mine is always foiled. Leaving it unfoiled is not a problem for the next cook as long as the next cook is under 300F. Over 300F and you're going to be burning off all that fat and crud which will smell awful and impart to whatever is on the grate at that time.
To clean off a drip pan you can run your cooker on high for 30-60mins which will burn off most of the crud and what ever is left will come off fairly easy with a wire brush, or, pull out the drip pan and spray it with heavy duty oven cleaner.

CarterQ

Foil free, just burn it off and scrape occasionally, you'd be surprised at how easy it cleans up once it's seasoned

KimG SOW

You also might try Greased Lightning, a degreaser. It works REALLY well on EVERYTHING! We've used it on grates, cookers, the driveway and the laundry.

scooter

Yep, I'll be judging at Sac so will make a point to meet up with you. If I'm not at the judging tent I'll be hanging around the Smokin Yankees site afterward helping push peoples choice out.

I second what Kim said about Greased Lightning! That stuff is awesome!

KyNola

No foil here. I clean the gunk off of it but that black on there is just a good seasoned smoker as far as I'm concerned.

nitromadagascar

Not everyone has one, but i take my sandblaster and LIGHTLY dust it off, rinse and like new. Also another trick when camping, the grate for the gas grill would be all dirty and would take a piece or rope and let one of the kids pull it behind there bike for a bit on the Gravel, polished up like new

Top Bottom