problem with auger tube clogging up

rjwidaho

I am new to this but I have had a traeger for about 10 years. Last year is started clogging up in the tube that the auger goes through. It is very frustrating and I am to the point of pulling the plug on it. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks

HoDeDo

your auger should move freely in the shaft, if it doesnt, you likely tweaked it during one of the times it was jammed. Turn the cooker on and check for free movement.

If you have free movement, there are a couple things that could be happening:
1. Fines. "Fines" are all the dust, etc at the bottom of the bag of pellets. If you have alot of these and they get into your auger shaft and contact any moisture at all, they can cause issues. You want to vac as much as you can from both ends... or ever pull that pot off and vac as much of the tube as you can.
2. Swollen pellets. Are you running your cooker out of pellets when you are done cooking? Especially on a traeger, you want to run it dry as part of your cool down process. If you have water get into that auger shaft, or if you have a very humid environment where the pellets can swell, that can also bind up the auger.

I am not sure what you are doing to clear the clogs, but there are some ways to help with it.14" long, 1/2" drill bit for starters!

If your auger is working properly, running it out of pellets will keep it from clogging. Also, storing it in a low humidity area like a garage, out of the weather, will also go a long way to solving your problems.

It is even more fun to do when your auger shaft is over 2' long (on my old Traeger Smokehouse.) This is one of the main reasons I like the Country Smokers. The drop feed system minimizes this issue. even if you do clog it, four bolts, and the whole unit is out and clean.
Having said that... Sparky is right on - the MAK has the ability to easily unload the pellets, and the firepot is pinned on for easy removal/cleaning. Should minimize any issues like you are seeing.

Good luck!!

nepas

I had this issue with my Lil Tex a few years ago. Took the hopper off and auger out only to find a bent nail in the auger tube.

rjwidaho

thanks

Thanks to all that replied. I have played hell with it. Getting the auger out after it clogs is always less than fun. The worst is going out to check your progress only do find out that you need to disect the darn thing. I have done all that is suggested above except for buying a different grill. Maybe that will be next.

Thanks again

RjWidaho

Top Bottom