CarterQ Inspired MAK Jerky

nepas

After looking at Carters MAK Jerky i got so hungry for some so i had to make some today.

My marinade. Basic backwoods style.
mj4.jpg

I added 1/2 tsp cure #1 into the water.

All mixed. With 1 Tbs red pepper flakes. You can add anything to this you like.
mj6.jpg

Normally i use London Boil but this flank was reduced. Going to slice it up after some trim work.
mj5.jpg

One down, One to go.
mj2.jpg

mj1.jpg

In the Reveo for a 20 min spin X2
mj.jpg

Drained and racked ready for MAK.
mj3.jpg

Hickory on smoke setting. Keep checking every hour and rotate the racks.
mj7.jpg

smoker pete

Using Bradley Smoker racks with Frog Mats crisscrossed is an interesting concept for making jerky in a MAK Nepas!! Watching with interest to see the end results. Before my last jerky batch (in my electric smoker) I researched jerky recipes on this and other forums but never really found anything. This really looks promising.

nepas

Easy recipe Pete. Normally for 5 lbs but you can adjust it to your taste and add anything to it.

2 Tbs salt (non iodized)
1 level tsp cure #1
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp black & white pepper
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbs onion powder
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worcestershire
3 cups cold distilled water (if your city water sux)

Marinate strips, place on racks (dont rinse the marinade off) smoke on PelletBoss for however long you like

KyNola

Hey Rick, Assuming you have the MAK set on the "Smoke" setting, what temp did your side smoker box temp get to?

Rip

Great info Rick, you and Carter have got me going! Been wanting to try this for a while, this will help move it up the list!

CarterQ

Looking good Rick, thanks for the recipe I will give that a whirl on my next go round. Wasabi teriayaki jerky is sounding good right now..........

nepas

Forgot to post the $ shot

mj66.jpg

nepas trick. Paper bag, helps remove surface oils, Reduces moisture which will make the jerky go bad.
mj67.jpg

mj68.jpg

Top Bottom