Brined Ribs?

CarterQ

Talking to a co worker today who thinks he is king of the grill (you all know the type) and we got on the subject of ribs.

He was telling me how great his were and how everyone can't get enough when he's cooking. He then let me in on the secret, he brines em! I said "wow" and he gave me the look like he had just gave me the secret of life.

Anybody ever try this and if so how does it come out? It seems it would be very easy to overdo it and end up with a salty mess.

Last edited:

SisInLaw

Hmmm. Seems unnecessary and a bit strange.

But what do I know? Yesterday I roasted two racks of baby backs in the house oven (don't have the smoker yet) and used Little Louie's and Rib Roundup on one rack and a mix of Best BBQ Sauce Ever and HotSqueeze on the other and they were both HUGE hits over here.

Rip

Paging Mr. HoDeDo, paging Mr. HoDeDo......Andy, what sayest thou? Any circumstance at all where this (brining ribs) would be with the effort?

scooter

Carter said:
Anybody ever try this and if so how does it come out? It seems it would be very easy to overdo it and end up with a salty mess.

Nope, never brined any of my racks. Never thought they needed brining. If you cook them right they come out tender and moist without the added hassle of a brining step plus with all that salt and sugar going at the ribs means the curing process has begun.
I prefer them right out of the cryo, rubbed then onto the smoker.

TentHunter

Just my opinion, but I've had ribs that were brined (not by me). I thought they had a slightly hammy taste and didn't care for them at all. Same thing with ribs that have been "enhanced".

If I want ham, I'll buy (or make) ham.

Again, just my opinion.

sparky

i just can't figure out why you would brine ribs. it sounds to me that your friend may not know what he is talking about. again, just TH's opinion. lol.

chas.

I have brined ribs in a mild 'cure' & then smoked them & they turn out exactly like ham, okay if that's what you want but I'm doing some today with my rub & I prefer them. I have also brined the country style ribs, individual pork chops and chicken. I like the chicken in a 1/2 cure and soaked overnite. These are 1/2 chix. I don't do them much for customers anymore because the cure makes the meat a little pink and people sometimes think it's not cooked done.(think the color of ham & bacon) For those who have never used it cure is a combination of sodium nitrate and nitrite and salt also some flavorings. It's used in the meat business to make hot dogs, lunch meats as well as hams and bacon. Around here you can get Morton's Tenderquick and their Sugar cure in stores or you can get it online. A lot of the deerhunters make a summer sausage that calls for it. It's definitely got a place in the meat world but on ribs more of a novelty thing than something you'd do regularly. Like somebody else said nothin wrong just not what I prefer.

Bear

Talking to a co worker today who thinks he is king of the grill (you all know the type) and we got on the subject of ribs.

He was telling me how great his were and how everyone can't get enough when he's cooking. He then let me in on the secret, he brines em! I said "wow" and he gave me the look like he had just gave me the secret of life.

He prolly cooks them on a gasser too:)

Top Bottom