1st MAK Ribs ... Leasons learned!!

smoker pete

Picked up some Pork Loin Backribs at Costco for my 1st of many rib cooks on the MAK. Nice and simple - dusted them with some Fagundes Seasoning.

ribs1.jpg

Slapped them on the grill at 225º and used Hickory pellets. Here's the spares after 5 hours.

ribs2.jpg

Slathered 2/3rd of the ribs with some Ya-Hoo Bar-B-Cue sauce and back in the MAK for another hour.

ribs3.jpg

After a total of 6 hours @ 225º. Checked them with an instant meat thermometer and the thicker pieces were at ~ 150º. Bumped up the Setpoint to 275º for another 45 minutes to finish them off.

ribs4.jpg

The ribs turned out great. Pellet Poopers rule. However, this is the first time I didn't use the 3-2-1 method cause I wanted to see what the MAK would do. In an electric smoker I would smoke for 3 hours, foil with apple juice for 2 hours, and then 1 hour with BBQ sauce.

At 225º the MAK produced a nice touch of Hickory smoke and I don't see a need for any foiling but I may have to plan on a longer cookin time or maybe bump the temp to 250º the next time and keep a closer look at them.

CarterQ

Those look great I like to roll with mine @250 - 275, no foil. Takes about 6 hours for spares and they come out great every time.

scooter

Johnny Trigg, Harry Soo, Paul Kirk and others do their ribs at 275 so that's good enough for me! My backyard ribs usually don't get foil but the ribs I'll be doing for comps get foiled for about an hour to tender them up.

Rip

Looks great Pete! I still cook mine at 225, and foil part of the time...if I was going to go with no foil, I would up it 250-275.

smoker pete

Thanks everyone. It looks like the consensus is to go with 250º without foil for ~5 to 6 hours. Maybe as high as 275º. My next racks will be at 250º and I'll adjust from there.

TentHunter

Beautiful! Why not try foiling a batch just for comparison and see which way you like? (if you need help sampling... ;))

Top Bottom