thick brisket injection

scooter

Thought I'd throw this question out there. I know Tuffy Stone uses Butchers injection for his brisket. I've seen several videos of him injecting his brisket and I've noticed his injection is of a much thicker consistancy than any other beef injection I've seen. It's so thick it doesn't run, it puddles. Looks to me like this type of injection would be preferable since it would have the tendancy to stay in and on the brisket better than an injection with a broth consistancy.
I can't figure out how he makes his injection so thick. Anyone who could give me a clue would be very much appreciated!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont believe that it is just butchers....Many people do well with Butchers....The phosphate thing is a little starnge tasting to me. Its funny on the brethren some cooks poo poo wagyu.....but have no problems forcing chemicals into their choice. we are competing with Strube and not injecting at all.

HoDeDo

I actually dont like thick injections, they tend to leave tracks. FAB is the worst I have seen. I also use butchers, but I use it differently than most. I inject, but it goes in like broth. thin, clean. The prime dust is just beef, no phosphate so that could be a good place to start.

For a Strube, you are going to get a ton of "beefiness" just from they way they are grown. Adding flavor though could still be something you want to do, so you could start with something like Dr. BBQ's Big Beef Injection... Again, no chemicals, just flavor, as a base.

I would say even the choice briskets likely don't need anything done to them. I know at least two of the last 5 royal winners that dont inject anything. I have to go back and look, but I think both placed well in brisket. I know Mark did, his finish in brisket was just above me, and he won grand by 1/2 a point!!! So I remember it like it was yesterday ;) No injection in his brisket. At the time he was cooking Naturewell "all natural" choice briskets.

Candy Sue

I think you have to be careful with thick injections. Tracking and "pus-looking pockets" where the solution puddles inside the meat (had that problem at the butt to butt in 2009. Like Andy said, adding flavor with injecting doesn't mandate the use of chemicals.

jimsbarbecue

I have used the Kosmos in the past. It boost the flavor and I always inject from the non fat side. Cook fat side down the entire cook so the injection doesnt drain out. Now that has been awhile ago as I only cook choice brisket from RD and had good flavor success. I do want to try a Strube ( pronounced "Struu Bee") Brisket myself. At the Johnny Trigg class he cooked both a choice and a Strube and there is a difference.

scooter

I can see the point being made that a thicker injection could cause a track problem. Just seems so much more effective and cleaner. When I inject briskets it's a royal mess and seems most of the injection just flows out no matter how careful I am to plug the holes left behind by the needle.

Thom Emery

If your not a big fan of trimming lots of the fat off
Injecting while still in the cryovac helps contain the mess
We do not inject our cater Briskets

firehouse_bbq

I tried butchers once, but did not like how thick it was. I have been using Kosmos for the past year and really like it. No tracing or any problems like that. In comps we are using either Choice or Prime briskets. However, i will be order a Strube from BPS for our next comp!

Top Bottom