Apple Smoked 11 lb Turkey

smoker pete

Who says you can't have Turkey throughout the year? Just like Corned Beef and Cabbage, I like to have Turkey at least once a month. Still working on the stash of Gobblers I accumulated during Thanksgiving and Christmas when they were pretty near given em away for free. Besides, I'm doing research on my new MAK.

Ever since KyNola introduced me to Jan's Dry Rub on the Bradley Forum I often enjoy using the rub on Turkeys, and Chickens among other things. Here's that 11 lb Gobbler with some EVOO and Jan's Dry Rub. All dressed up and as Nepas once said ... "ready to meet it's MAKer" :D

turkey1.jpg

Setpoint to SMOKE for an hour. As I learn the intricacies of my MAK I'm applying techniques from my electric smoker experiences. I like a nice, not too overpowering smoky flavor and am learning that applying an hour of smoke before bumping the temperature really does the trick for me. Used Apple pellets. My MAK runs at 180º ± 10º on the SMOKE Setpoint. After an hour, bumped the temp to 325º.

turkey2.jpg

The money $shot ... This will have to do cause I over estimated the time I thought it would take for the breast to reach 165º. It only took me ~ 3 hours instead of the 4 to 5 hours I was figuring ... Foiled the Gobbler to rest. My Son and his family came for dinner and along with SWMBO and I we devoured that bird down to the carcass ;) Gives me a warm and fuzzy to watch the Grandkids munch down their dinner :)

turkey3.jpg

CarterQ

Great looking bird Pete, I have one in the freezer that I need to cook and looking at this makes me want to do it soon! Are you using the user program on the pellet boss?

TentHunter

Pete, the color on that bird is absolutely gorgeous! I love that chestnut brown color apple wood gives; its my fave for poultry. Are you sure there's none left; not even a scrap for old Tent? ;)

smoker pete

Great looking bird Pete, I have one in the freezer that I need to cook and looking at this makes me want to do it soon! Are you using the user program on the pellet boss?

I've tried using the user program on the pellet boss but haven't really been successful with it yet cause not being sure if I programmed it correctly I have turned the program back off rather than allowing it to run it's course.

Have watched the video numerous times and am getting a better feel for it but I'm determined to use a user program on my next cook if it's warranted. After all, it's not rocket science :D

Love the Remote Boss. Looking forward to the day I can run a program on my PC, set all the parameters, save it as a file (unlimited programs stored on PC), and then download the user program to the Remote Boss which automatically programs the Pellet Boss. Kind of like what I do with my Golf GPS unit where I can download thousands of golf courses across the country. A guy can dream right?

Top Bottom