Howdy!

Rbpinney

Hi, my name is Ralph and I am currently trying to figure out what to get for my next smoker. Started with a Brinkman water type. Tried smoking on the gas grill. I recently had a medium sized electric smoker.
I'm not keen on babysitting a fire. Not my thing. I liked the temperature control the electric gave me and I like what I have seen about the pellet smokers.
For those of you that have tried a gas smoker and have switched to pellet, let me know why you made the switch and having tried both, how they really compare.
Thanks, in advance, for your valuable feedback.
Cheers, Ralph

Big Poppa

Administrator
OH Ralph you have walked into a pellets nest......I can speak for most of us and say that our gasser make good storage cabinets...smoke bake or sear they are the bomb.....I didnt start this business because i was loooking for something to sell......I was so taken with the quality and ease of cooking I had to start this stuff

Rip

Welcome to the forum Ralph! Take all the things you can do with a smoker, now add wood fired oven to the description, with automatic temp control. The higher end models even have programmable modes where you can do things like automatically change the grill temp when the It (internal temp) of the meat hits a predetermined point. Sorry, I don't have any (useable) experience with gas smokers.

ACW3

Welcome from North Carolina. I have owned a Ducane gas grill (never did like it), a Brinkman smoker, and several Weber Kettles over the years. Now I have a MAK 2 Star after much research. I went higher end initially because I didn't want to have to "upgrade" and have extra storage problems with other grills/cookers. Although, I am sure that my son and daughter-in-law would not have minded taking the "old" pellet grill off my hands. They got one of my Webers already. Now they will have to wait for a long time! Read the various threads about buying a pellet pooper. Lots of good info. Be sure to ask questions. We love to answer questions and help new pellet smokers sort out the field.

Art

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum Ralph!

I just recently got my first pellet fired grill/smoker (B-day gift) and already can tell you I am enjoying the convenience of not having to worry about tending a fire. Don't get me wrong, the weekends when I have more time I actually enjoy tending the fire and hanging out around the pit. BUT today I am extremely busy and am cooking 40+ lbs. of pork shoulders as I type this and the pellet grill is holding that temp for me, without any worry, letting me get other things done. I am loving it!

CarterQ

Welcome aboard Ralph! As you can tell by poking around here pellet grills are very versatile. When you look at a MAK you can grill, bake, or smoke and then when add some accessories like a griddle the possibilities become endless! Ask lots of questions and you should get a pretty good idea of whats out there.

Last edited:

Uinta smoking

Hi Ralph. I've messed with gassers for years and that was ok. Got a cheap offset smoker last summer and it was alittle better. Just got me a pellet pooper a month or so ago and it's WAY better. The grub ya make just tastes better. I jumped into a traeger which works great but others say the MAK is better, I don't know. I'll keep playing w/ my lil tex for a while then see where I go from there. Good luck and happy smoking.

Top Bottom