MAK Smoked GB Jerky

nepas

Got 5 lbs going to different ways today. 2.5 lbs GB pepper jerky in my MAK with hickory and 2.5 lbs in a Bradley.

MAK GB pepper jerky.
hbj26.jpg

Extruded the jerky from my 5lb LEM stuffer using a jerky attatchment.

hbj24.jpg

Extruded onto wax paper, then you flip the paper over and pull it off the jerky.
hbj22.jpg

My mix
hbju25.jpg

Rip

I'm with Squirt, how'ed the GB jerky turn out? Does it hold together well? Thanks for sharing, always a clinic, good stuff!

nepas

Yeah its done. Have been doing errands for the Mrs. Got the jerky cut this morning before doing my honey do's

maktregjerk4.jpg

TentHunter

Rip, Ground Beef jerky holds together just fine. I have a small extruder and used to make it all the time using lean GB. The great thing about it is its less expensive, the flavors (and cure) are mixed right in with the meat, tends to be a little more tender to eat, and I think can be just as good or better than sliced.

One word of caution though: Look in the pics up above and you'll see rick used a little cure (the pink colored salt). I would NEVER make this type of jerky without a little cure in it. Too risky.

ACW3

Rick,
I am going to try some GB slim jim's today. I want to "test" the flavors before I use the oryx meat. Watching this post inspired me to go ahead and make the SJ's today.

Art

P.S. Your inbox is at it's limit. I tried to send you a PM and it won't allow me to send it.

nepas

Rick,
I am going to try some GB slim jim's today. I want to "test" the flavors before I use the oryx meat. Watching this post inspired me to go ahead and make the SJ's today.

Art

P.S. Your inbox is at it's limit. I tried to send you a PM and it won't allow me to send it.

The oryx will be kille jimmys.

I did dump some out from my inbox.

sparky

ok, i know nothing about nothing. if your smoking it why would you need to put cure in the meat? wouldn't smoking it cook it? and the cure. its some powder that cures the meat?

Last edited:

nepas

ok, i know nothing about nothing. if your smoking it why would you need to put cure in the meat? wouldn't smoking it cook it? and the cure. its some powder that cures the meat?

Anytime any sort of meat is smoked in a low temp enviroment 180* and below you need cure to keep the micro organisms out IE Botulism.

Cure #1 consists of salt and sodium nitrite. For meats like slim jims, jerky, summer sausage, pepperoni.

Cure #2 is a mixture of salt, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. Used mainly for dry cure sausage, Landjaeger, salami, dry cured hams and such. Longer shelf life than cure #1. Cure #2 meats usually do not require refrigeration.

These cures are also called insta cure #1 & 2. Prague powder 1 & 2
Early use of cure was Pure Sodium Nitrate.....also used in bomb making. Not recommended in curing unless you know the EXACT amount to use.

TentHunter

if your smoking it why would you need to put cure in the meat? wouldn't smoking it cook it?

Anytime any sort of meat is smoked in a low temp enviroment 180* and below you need cure to keep the micro organisms out IE Botulism.

Sparky, that's a realy good question, and what Nepas is saying is really important!

Keep in mind, Botulinum are Anaerobic Bacteria; they DON'T need oxygen to live. Cold smoking literally robs the pit of oxygen. Low oxygen + warm temps = the perfect breeding environment for Botulinum bacteria. And even though smoke contains Carbolic Acid (a natural preservative), it's not enough. Only high heat and/or certain additives, like nitrites, will kill the botulinum.

Its a good idea to research and understand this. Botulism can really ruin your day!

Early use of cure was Pure Sodium Nitrate.....also used in bomb making. Not recommended in curing unless you know the EXACT amount to use.

Just for clarification... did you mean Potassium Nitrate?

TentHunter

Rick, as a point of discussion, I know for GB jerky the amount of cure #1 to use is 1 level tsp. per 5 lbs. But finding how much cure to use in a marinade for sliced jerky is not so easy.

Based on the current recommended amount for wet/brine curing ham (6 to 8 tsp. per gallon - depending on where you look) I estimated somewhere between a heaping 1/2 tsp - 3/4 tsp. per pint of marinade should be enough. Does this seem right?

How much cure #1 do you use in a sliced jerky marinade and why that amount?

Teach us Great Jedi Sausage master. We're gladly your Padawan Learners! :)

nepas

Sparky, that's a realy good question, and what Nepas is saying is really important!

Keep in mind, Botulinum are Anaerobic Bacteria; they DON'T need oxygen to live. Cold smoking literally robs the pit of oxygen. Low oxygen + warm temps = the perfect breeding environment for Botulinum bacteria. And even though smoke contains Carbolic Acid (a natural preservative), it's not enough. Only high heat and/or certain additives, like nitrites, will kill the botulinum.

Its a good idea to research and understand this. Botulism can really ruin your day!

Just for clarification... did you mean Potassium Nitrate?

LOL

Yeah

pn.jpg

Top Bottom