BBQ media: How do you stay connected to the world of BBQ?

scooter

Here are the ways I stay tuned in. Would appreciate knowing other BBQ media that I have overlooked.

Radio:
BBQ Central Show: Weekly internet radio show with Greg Rempe on Tuesday nights broadcast from Cleveland Ohio. Greg does weekly interviews with manufacturers, comp teams, bloggers etc. Some outstanding roundtable discussions covering the four comp meats and will alternate roundtables with the focus on competition or backyard techniques. Very polished, great audio quality. Available on podcast with an extensive archive of shows going back over two years.

In The Hut: Another internet radio show from Pennsylvania with a panel discussion format with Huck Jr and Huck Sr along with some regular guest panel attendees such as DivaQ, George Hensler, Chad Ward and Neil Strawder among others. At one time a weekly show but seems since Huck Jr got married show production is sporadic at best. Available on podcast with an archive of all the shows.

BBQ Superstars: Weekly radio show with Daryl Mast. Very low quality audio but still an interesting show centered on the east coast. Available on podcast with an archive of all the shows. Also has some very interesting videos of BBQ classes and clinics. Again, the quality is low but the information is very good.

Celebrity Grill Show: A once regular show featuring JM from Florida covering all topics centered around grilling has seemed to switch formats from audio to video shows. Some excellent panel discussions on grilling steaks, chicken, planking etc even some shows on low and slow smoking. Available on podcast with an archive of all the
shows.

BBQ Forum podcast: Ray Basso from BBQ Forum recorded these interviews back in 2005/2006. They're old but still hold entertainment and educational value. I particularly like the interviews with Paul Kirk and Ed Roith. Available on podcast with an archive of all the shows.

Video:
GrateTV: Just found this show. An internet video show from the birthplace of American BBQ, South Carolina. The show has two hosts, Bill West and Jack Wayboer. The show format has Bill and Jack sitting in chairs discussing all topics of BBQ. They start the show by showcasing a local microbrewery, popping the beer cap and discussing new Q'ing gadgets, sauces, rubs, jellies etc and answering viewer questions and showing mini how-to clinics. Jack is very knowledgable about BBQ and shares what he knows. The shows last about 10-15 mins and the video/audio quality is very high! Available on podcast with an archive of all the shows.

Huck's Hut TV: While the broadcasting of their In The Hut radio show has not been produced with regularity recently, the video shows have suffered worse. There are still some fairly informative older videos that can be learned from in the podcast archive. Available on podcast with an archive of all the shows.

BBQ Pitmasters: I love this show on TLC. Two seasons so far. The first season was much better format than season 2 but still found season 2 enjoyable watching my BBQ friends on national network TV competing. Available on iTunes but will cost money. I paid $13 for all 8 episodes of season 1 but have not purchased any season 2 eps yet.

All podcasts can be listened to by anyone with a computer. You don't need any Apple device to listen to them. An iPod will allow you to listen to them at your leasure away from your computer like I do when I jog at night. I download to my iTunes library then move them to my iPod and iPhone then watch and/or listen to them in the little seams of time in my day.

Print:
National BBQ News: A monthly newspaper publication covering all topics BBQ including competition results across the nation. I believe they're in their 20th year of print. Costs $25/year for the subscription and well worth it IMO.

The BullSheet: A monthly publication for KCBS members. Comes free with membership. Covers all topics in BBQ and also focuses on KCBS board news, new member announcments etc.

Internet:
Facebook: You'd be surprised how many folks you know from BBQ are on FB! Teams, manufacturers, bloggers, judges etc. Anybody and everybody from the world of BBQ with a computer is on FB. Hook up your FB pages and follow along with their latest adventures in BBQ. I never thought I'd get involved with FB but I have to say I'm enjoying it very much and have reconnected with some high school friends from a very long time ago!

Backyard BBQ: A new BBQ social network site that just got started. Billed as sort of the "Facebook" of the BBQ world but I'm still using the original Facebook right now to keep tabs of my BBQ family, friends, high school friends and my real life family. Backyard BBQ seems promising but just haven't used the site very much yet.

Forums:
I participate on:
PelletSmoking, Pelletheads, The Virtual Weber and CBBQA forum sites

Read only on:
The BBQ Brethren site. The Brethren site is very comp centered with everybody who's anybody in the world of comp BBQ with a computer found on that site.
I used to go to the Cookshack site but rarely anymore.

If I had time I think I'd join up with BBQ Forum but just don't have the time.

So, how do you stay connected?

Last edited:

TentHunter

Oooooh, some good resources. Thanks Scooter & Kim!

Here's a few ways I try to stay connected:

- This forum
- General Internet searches & research
- BBQtalk.ca forum (occasionally)
- Pelletheads Forum (visit about once a week - never posted)
- Monthly newsletter from Bill Anderson of Chatham Artillery BBQ team.
- Avid fan of the BBQ Pit Boys Barbecue and Grilling Show - Those guys know how to throw down some good Q! They were rated #1 most influetial BBQ group last year and was one of the first places I ever saw a BigPoppaSmokers ad/link.

Lastly:
- lots & lots of cooking & eating :p

sparky

i just log in here. thats the only bbq talk i get. will try the websites ya'll listed. everyone here is copasetic. i am so glad it's the weekend. the pit boys web sight was real cool. :)

Last edited:

scooter

Yeah Kim, wiredbbq I forgot about that one. Caught a little of the awards at the Royal and most of the Jack on wiredbbq. Was very cool to watch those events live. Looking forward to seeing more of their involvement in this years cookoffs! And thanks goes to Thom for sponsoring them!

PitBoys are another great resource! I've learned a lot from watching them but have to wonder if they'll ever retire that big ol dull carbon blade knife they use!! lol

sparky, there's a wealth of Q knowledge out there for your consumption on radio, video, internet, print! Just gotta have the time to find what you're looking for.

TentHunter

PitBoys are another great resource! I've learned a lot from watching them but have to wonder if they'll ever retire that big ol dull carbon blade knife they use!! lol

That thing is a classic to be sure! LOL Take a look at some of their latest vids; they actually retired the old one and now have a new "Old Hickory"! (He he that even sounds funny. :))

Big Poppa

Administrator
The problem with a lot of these sites especially some if the forums is misinformation. Make surenyou coo borate stuff before accepting it as gospel. Rempes show is nice but some of his guests are lightweights

Thom Emery

I am enjoying facebook, the Brethren and The Primo forum these days
Good crowd over at AZBarbeque also
Your welcome on the Wired BBQ feed :)

KimG SOW

I can tell you that the WiredBBQ will have a lot more stuff soon. Dave (who is local to KC) has been to a lot of the local stuff going on. It will take him some time to work through the footage. He said that he is hoping to get through a lot of it this month. So keep checking....

chas.

Check out the BBQ Butcher, good if you have specific meat questions and Amazing Ribs . com (Meathead)

Trooper

Not any particular order -
BPTV
GLBBQA forum
Cookshack forum
The Bull Sheet
Pelletsmoking.com
Pelletheads.

I'm almost a forum junkie.
I think I can get just about any question very well answered on these forums.
After regular reading, you learn which contributors have a particular expertise. (like Scooter, for example)
It then helpful/enjoyable to PM that person and go 1-on-1 & exchange info.

jimsbarbecue

PelletSmoking
BBQ Brethren Both I can check with Tap a Talk on my phone
Pelletheads
The Virtual Weber Bullet.
Those four keep me up to date. I know there are others but the above four will alert me of going ons on other sites.
I like that PelletSmoking has the most modern features in its forum from photos video link to facebook and smart phone access.

Top Bottom