New Portable Smoker

Rip

I recently got to spend some time with the new Popeil Pocket Smoker™. Despite signing a vague non-disclosure document, I’m going to share my test results.

The device is a relatively portable, although I found the 110vac requirement to be limiting. Popeil promises a 12vdc version is being developed. Notice the clever drip trays. I only foiled one so we can see which way is best for clean up. As you can see, the PPS™ has multiple temp settings, I would have preferred a digital control. (This is a prototype, all markings are taped over)
IMG_2053sm.jpg

First up is something simple, hamburgers! I hit ‘em with a little seasoning and into the PPS™
IMG_2056sm.jpg

To keep this on topic, I loaded a foil packet with hickory pellets into grill zone 2.
IMG_2057sm.jpg

Taking advantage of the additional grill zones, I’m trying some asparagus as well. I was going to toast hamburger buns in the fourth zone, but I wasn’t really sure how that would turn out.
IMG_2058sm.jpg

Yeah, were smokin’ now!
IMG_2068sm.jpg

Meals in minutes! A perfectly serviceable meal.
IMG_2074sm.jpg

Ok, lets be honest, this product is not ready for market…not even with three beers.

My Legal Advisor insists I add this:

Disclaimer:
1) Please check Today’s date. (Posted 4/1 April Fools Day)
2) The appliance depicted above is NOT a smoking device for meat or vegetables, (ok, my dad accidently cooked a mouse once, but that's another story!) It only smokes bread products and then only on its terms, not yours.
3) It runs on electricity: DO NOT stick anything metal into the appliance, especially while it’s plugged in!
4) DO NOT add foil packets (with or without pellets) to this appliance.
5) Do NOT foil the ‘drip’ pans.
6) DO NOT use smoke detectors to determine meal readiness.
7) If your hand model won't wear gloves, insist they wash up afterwards.
Moderator’s: I really couldn’t decide which area this post belongs in, (we don’t have an area 51). :cool:

Last edited:

CarterQ

Awesome! Love the ability to smoke at two different temps. You also get great control on each zone with the ability to set light to dark smoke. The cherry on top is when food is done though, the smoker stops and moves whatever your cooking to a "resting" position. Pure genius!

Last edited:

Bear

I've got to admit, you had me going there for a minute. I'm looking at this thinking "this could never work", then I remembered what today is...

Rip

Awesome! The cherry on top is when food is done though, the smoker stops and moves whatever your cooking to a "resting" position. Pure genius!
HaHa, wouldn't that be great!...Typical response to the 'return to resting position' is to start another cooking cycle....which usually is followed by the smoker mechanism kicking in again! (there's a reason I didn't try to toast the buns!)

TentHunter

I've got to admit, you had me going there for a minute. I'm looking at this thinking "this could never work", then I remembered what today is...

Ha ha, Rip had me going too!

Funny thing is, I've seen toasters that are made for toasting hotdogs and hotdog buns... so I just figured Rip figured out a way to do burgers.

The funniest part is... I might have gone home and tried it (if we had a regular toaster)!

Last edited:

sparky

i forgot what day it was and got out the toaster and put it on the back patio. made a pellet pouch, made a hamburger. my wife says, "whata ya doing dear". i am smoking a hamburger in the toaster. 1st thing out of her mouth was "what idiot from the forum told ya to smoke a hamburger in the toaster". my reply was, "rip". she said, "you tell rip's wife to contact me so we can both laugh at the two morons we married". lol, she's mean. :(

Last edited:

Rip

Amen brother Sparky! You should hear what they say when you start cleaning the toaster...what ya doing dear? Cleaning the toaster. Why? I need to have it look new for a photo shoot. What!? Oh, and I need a hand model. WHAT?! I just read her your post, haha! Tell your wife we will be over for ribs, you and me can sit outside and relax while they sit inside and swap stories!

sparky

from san francisco take I-80 north toward reno. exit antelope rd, left on arburn blvd. blue ford truck in driveway, roses out front, 3 cherry trees in front yard. having ribs this weekend. come on over. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom