Third Place $10.00 Gift Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

If there are twelve cookers entered then it will be
First $35. BPS
Second $20. BPS
Third $15. BPS
Fourth $10. BPS

sparky

Sparky's Hillbilly Ribs

i watched the bbq pit boys (got the idea there) and they reminded me of my 2 friends from the coast guard (louie & leroy, they look just like the big guy with the pony tail) who live in the mountains in honeydew, ca. south of eureka in humboldt county. i spent 7 yrs of my life in humboldt county and this is for louie, leroy & bbq pit boys. Sparky's Hillbilly Ribs

P4010001.jpg

P4010005.jpg

P4010009.jpg

P4010020.jpg

P4010022.jpg

arrrrr matey it was the only bbq sauce i could find with a pirate on it. cool huh.
P4010027.jpg

P4010032.jpg

P4010040.jpg

P4010011-1.jpg

the end.

i cut them all up and my wife and i stood right at the counter and ate the entire plate of ribs w/ some FT's. they were very good.

p.s. Scooter told me that there is a wealth of Q knowledge, TH told me about bbq pit boys. thanks to both ya'll.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I loved that webisode. If Bob & Ray saw those ribs you'd definitely get a BBQ Pit Boys thumbs up Sparky; they look fabulous!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Simple Pulled Pork

I was asked to supply pulled pork for a memorial service for this weekend. Yesterday morning I picked up an order from the meat packer - a 52.4 lb case of whole pork shoulders (3 whole shoulders weighing about 17 1/2 lbs. each). As requested they them cut in half to separate the Butts & Picnic cuts.

The Stoven gets its first real workout - Loaded up two whole shoulders (2 Butts & 2 Picnics) - about 35 lbs. A third smaller picnic shoulder went on the Weber (about 42 lbs in all).

Water pans & apple/hickory pellet blend in the smoker pot for additional smoke flavor.
MEMPORK1.JPG

I let it ride for about 7+ hours around 250° until the wee hours last night. Super tired, I sealed them in a couple foil pans to braise and then rest in the oven so I could get some sleep. Got up early this morning to check on them they were still nicely hot and very tender.
MEMPORK2.JPG

Got the kids to school and pulled them suckers before going to work this morning.
MEMPORK3.JPG

Got home from work, made the BBQ sauce to go with it (which was also requested)...
MEMPORK4.JPG

BBQ Sauce cooled & bottled. Pork pulled & packed tightly into a tub ready to go in the morning!
MEMPORK5.JPG

That tub's a little heavy!

Thanks!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Late-night Cheese Smoke

I have the pork done, so now its time to focus on the pile of cheese that the Mrs. told me to get smoked so she could reclaim her refrigerator (Yes Dear :)).

So tonight we're having a little late-night cheese smoke. 23 1/2 lbs. of various cheese including:

- 4 lbs Extra Sharp Cheddar.
- 1 1/2 lbs Vermont Extra Sharp White Cheddar
- 1 lb. NY Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 lb. Mild Cheddar
- 1 lb. Pepper Jack
- 1 lb Monterrey Jack
- 1 lb Muenster
- 1 1/2 lbs Farmer's
- 1 lb Sharp American
- 1 1/2 lbs Yellow Amish Gouda
- 2 wedges Amish Blue
- 2 lbs. Amish Baby Swiss
- 3 lbs Provolone
- 4 lbs Swiss & Rye (Swiss coated w/Caraway seeds)

SMKCHZ02.JPG

Smoked Swiss & Rye

This stuff is good. Bring 1/4" water in a pan to a very low simmer. Set the cheese in for about 8 - 10 seconds to heat & soften just the outside layer. Then press it in into some Caraway seed sprinkled in a small dish. This embeds the seed a bit it doesn't fall off. Allow to cool and dry a while.
SMKCHZ03.JPG

I also like coating Cheddar and Gouda with Paprika.
SMKCHZ04.JPG

To cold-smoke the cheese, foil packs of Apple pellets were set on top of 6 charcoal briquettes to keep a very light Apple wood Smoke going. Pellet pouches are perfect for this task!
SMKCHZ01.JPG

Stay tuned for more pics (when its done)...

Last edited:

Rip

Alright Sparky and Tent! Great start!

What contest? You share your cooks, we all get to enjoy them (even the lurkers), AND 4 (or 3) of you get a little something extra.....so, show us what's cooking at your place!

You have up to Monday evening the enter. If necessay, PM me for help with posting pics.

nepas

Stuffed MAK'Burgers

Did these this past week.

Stuffed hidden valley ranch stuffed avocado and smoked farmers cheese burgers.

1 pack of hidden valley to 1.5 lbs of GB. Mix well.
DSC00337-1.jpg

Got my smoked farmers cheese grated.
DSC00338-1.jpg

Sliced the avocado (sorry no pics) And started to make the burgers.

Stuffing the burger with cheese and avocado.
DSC00341.jpg

Also made a stuffed MAK cooked chili and cheese Bacon wrapped burger.
DSC00354-1.jpg

MAK'Ing
DSC00357-1.jpg

$$ Shots
Avocado/cheese
DSC00359.jpg

Chili/cheese
DSC00365-1.jpg

Rip

Looks good Rick...hard not to think those burgers coulda been done in the pocket smoker :)

malawoo

Pork Chop Dinner

Boneless pork chops Paula Dean seasoning and 17th street Magic Dust on grill grates
scooks001.jpg

Green Beans from last years Garden Sauted in butter sesame oil & dash of teriaki
scooks002.jpg
scooks003.jpg

Pork chops was cooked on grill grates 3 minutes on each side
scooks004.jpg

sparky

Desert Gold Chicken

got some chicken breast and dusted with some Desert Gold. put on old friend. use a packet of apple pellets for some smokie, smokie.
P4020014.jpg

put a sear on it then set up grill for some indirect heat.
P4020018.jpg

had a few adult beverages. check temp. pulled at 160º
P4020029.jpg

poured a glass of milk, made a wedge salad with some avocados and tomatos. yummy.
P4020044.jpg

its was a excellent dinner. :cool:

Deb

a glass of milk, you feeling ok Sparky? need me to make you some smoked chicken soup?

Last edited:

Deb

Cooking for the office - Part 1

I telecommute and the office is about 3 hours away. When i'm close to a project ending it gets crazy so I go and stay near the office for a week or so, I usually end up eating breakfast, lunch & dinner at the office & it's in a small town so dinner choices are limited pretty much to pizza, pizza, pizza, bad chinese........... a week of a pizza place menu gets old very quick, so I have a crockpot that lives at the office, there is a toaster oven and microwave so I plan a few meals........

So yesterday I prepped a few things for me & my coworkers ........ first up......... Ground turkey/bean burritos

Took two pounds of ground turkey breast, added a couple kinds of chili powder, granulated onion, cayenne, cumin, mexican oregano, some little louies w/pepper (thanks BP), some garlic, a can of green chilis and later added the can of refried beans and mixed it all up

6f29e012.jpg

into the traeger - it's the one on the right

5f6f6cc8.jpg

when I went out to check on it later I decided it needed some diced red pepper added that and it looked like this when it came out

9ee470b2.jpg

rolled up a few with some mexican blend cheese in whole wheat tortillas

15e3333e.jpg

of course I had to taste test
b3f8cafc.jpg

these were very good, I had debated adding the chilis & beans before or after the turkey cooked, before was a good move, it helped keep the turkey breast moist

Last edited:

Deb

Cooking for the office Part II

Turkey Sausage and Peppers (CarterQ inspired) !

Prepped the veggies - onions, red peppers, green peppers sprinkled with oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, a healthy dose of crushed red pepper, little louies with pepper, added some garlic

a04f52ad.jpg

placed the sausages on top to start

5f6f6cc8.jpg

but later moved them around the grill edges to get some color

941c4567.jpg

cut the sausage into chunks, added 1/2 can tomato paste, can of diced tomatoes, into bag to transport........ this will go into slow cooker to heat up and finish cooking for a lunch or dinner...... I'll talk someone else into grabbing some rolls and provolone cheese on their way to the office the day we have this.......

c89686bf.jpg

Top Bottom