Do you cover your grill

Rip

Here in four seasons territory, i keep my unsheltered Lil Tex covered when not in use.

When it snows, it's easy to brush off the cover. When it rains I don't worry about electronics or pellet hopper being exposed. Other than that, it's one more step during setup and shutdown...(and in the way on the deck while its off.)

I'm curious to know how many of you cover your grills, especially the higher end ones like MAK and MP, are they more weather resistant than Traegers?

ACW3

I keep my MAK in the garage when I'm not using it. It gets parked next to my golf cart. The bad part is that to fire up the grill, I have to move the golf cart so there is room to take the grill outside. If it rains, I can cook just inside the garage with good ventilation. Of course, I must move a car out and park the cart in the garage when it rains.

Art

squirtthecat

Mine are out 365 days a year. I have the factory covers on them (the Traeger one is getting a little worse for wear), and I put a brick on the cover over the pellet hoppers to make sure they stay down nice and tight.

DSC02396.JPG

There still gets to be some condensation under the covers, but I've never had a problem with it getting into the pellets or the electronics.

TentHunter

The Weber Performer/Stoven combo didn't cost as much as some grills, but it's still about a $775 investment. Yeah, I reckon I'll spend the $45 for the cover.

Right now we're keeping it in the garage when not in use. Partly to kee it out of the weather, but also as a precaution so it doesn't disapear during the night. :eek:

CarterQ

Mines covered and kept under a covered patio during the rainy season, I'll leave it out covered during the summer.

ACW3

Has anyone experienced any problems with critters nesting in your grills when they are outside? I used to have a Ducane gas grill that was a big spider magnet. I even had some spiders show up in my old Weber Kettle if I hadn't used it recently, and it was warm outside.

Art

Eric Augustus

I cover it whenever it's not being used. I've already had to replace the main fan because it shorted out. Looks like it got wet when I wasn't quite fast enough with the cover.

So Cal Smoker

My MAK is always covered and sits under a covered patio when not in use. When I'm cooking the covered patio offers protection from the elements (Sun or Rain). We don't get any snow in San Diego.

Deb

I cover mine most of the time. If I know it's going to be nice for a few days I won't cover.

malawoo

I keep a cover on my Lil Tex and Mak. In the winter I bring it in the garage and roll under the carport area and bbq. As soon as the weather gets better then I am building a roof over my patio.

uneakone

Has anyone experienced any problems with critters nesting in your grills when they are outside? I used to have a Ducane gas grill that was a big spider magnet. I even had some spiders show up in my old Weber Kettle if I hadn't used it recently, and it was warm outside.

Art

ACW3, you need to Q more often, that should solve your problem.

scooter

all my cookers are covered when not in use. Two of the Webers have wooden handles so I try to protect them as much as possible. The deck is covered with a lattice and shade cloth to protect from sun but the rain got through. Last winter I covered the lattice cover over the MAK and first WSM with that green corrugated stuff to block the rain. Now before this winter hits I'll be laying more down to cover the cookers down past the kettle.

IMG_8204.jpg

CarterQ

Everything is covered and under the patio roof, my cookers give a lot of love so I have to return the favor!

Rip

I also keep mine covered when not in use...I started this thread right before I ordered MAK2 #385. I had always covered my Lil Tex and was wondering if owners of other grill (especially MAKs) did the same. I got distracted last month and forgot to cover my MAK, I watched in disgust as over 2 inches of rain with high winds pelted my baby the next morning. When the rain let up I went out and 20 lbs of pellets in the hopper were nice and dry! Thank you Bob! (I still cover her anyway) :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom