Remotely possible...

squirtthecat

I finally hooked up my MAK Remote Boss. It's been sitting in the box for a couple months, but it has finally dried out enough to be crawling in rocks snaking wires into the guts of my 1 Star.

I had to update the firmware on my Pellet Boss first.
No pics of that process.. Secret Receipts, ya know. :D

However, you must remember..

20110402162831.jpg

Transmitter hooked up to the #3 meat probe port, and chiming away.

20110402162907.jpg

Back in Mission Control.

20110402173159.jpg

I'm very impressed with the range. It is going a good 70' through 3 or 4 walls.

My Oregon Scientific weather station makes a nice 'cradle' for it, and I swiped it's USB cable to provide shore power to the Remote Boss.

Now I'll actually cook something with it today. :cool:

TTNuge

It's a habit now that I hook it up for every cook, even short n sweet ones like burgers and stuff. It's just so easy and handy to have. I really wish I didn't have to plug in the transmitter every time but it's a small price to pay for the added convenience.

Rip

Thanks for sharing. Does the transmitter draw any power via the #3 temp probe connection (guessing no) or does it run on batteries alone?

squirtthecat

It's a habit now that I hook it up for every cook, even short n sweet ones like burgers and stuff. It's just so easy and handy to have. I really wish I didn't have to plug in the transmitter every time but it's a small price to pay for the added convenience.

I'm trying to find a way to mount it inside the hopper assembly - next to the Pellet Boss. I'd have the antennae sticking out the front or the bottom through a hole, and then run 7 volts DC to it from a small transformer mounted inside as well.

It would come to life when the grill was powered on. In theory. ;)

Thanks for sharing. Does the transmitter draw any power via the #3 temp probe connection (guessing no) or does it run on batteries alone?

Battery power. 2 AAs. I'm going to replace them with some of my camera Lithium Ion batteries and see if that increases the signal range. (that trick works with my Mavericks - gives them some extra 'oomph')

TentHunter

This might seem like a dumb question, but I'm just so darn good at asking them ;)...

That's the first picture I've seen of a transmitter in conjunction with the remote boss (second pic). Is that part of a remote boss kit, or is it something seperate to extend the range?

squirtthecat

It's part of the original Remote Boss kit. The transmitter plugs into Meat Probe port #3. The newer controllers have the Bluetooth transmitter built into the Pellet Box, and the antenna is mounted under the hopper somewhere.

MAK DADDY

You can see the Remote Boss video in the MAK section. I will be making one for the "plug" style next week I hope.
Basically the transmitter was our way to make the remote work for existing grill owners below #320 although it does work on all the new models as well. The plug style will only work on the new models above 320 and all 1 Star grills. We try hard not to leave anyone out :)

TTNuge

Batteries only, the plug style draws power from the board.

P1020232.jpg

You should probably have a field tester who's willing to swap out his pellet boss for a new style and test out the relative range and functionality between the new and the old! :D

Looks slick!

smoker pete

You can see the Remote Boss video in the MAK section. I will be making one for the "plug" style next week I hope.
Basically the transmitter was our way to make the remote work for existing grill owners below #320 although it does work on all the new models as well. The plug style will only work on the new models above 320 and all 1 Star grills. We try hard not to leave anyone out :)

I'm a little confused MAK DADDY about the Remote Boss. I own #360 and ordered my MAK 2 Star on 03/08/11 with the Remote Boss. What I received was the Remote Boss and the transmitter.

My confusion stems from the post where squirtthecat states "... The newer controllers have the Bluetooth transmitter built into the Pellet Box, and the antenna is mounted under the hopper somewhere..."

I also looked at your post where you show the plug style antenna connected and powered from the board. This is a configuration that I would prefer to own versus the transmitter that plugs into probe 3.

Is the plug style and upgrade? Is it something I can buy or is it something that should have come installed already on my #360?

MAK DADDY

His statement is not correct, the new controllers are "BT ready" not built in (that's what the plug is in the picture).
The reason you have the sending unit style is the plug version is not available yet and the sending unit works on all MAK Grills.
Yes, you can change out to the plug style once they are available since your grill is BT ready.
Just shoot me an email in a couple weeks and we will work it out :)
Hope this makes sense.

TentHunter

Thanks for the info! Now that I've seen a pic of the transceivers I can understand how you're getting such good range with the BlueTooth.

Last edited:

nepas

You should probably have a field tester who's willing to swap out his pellet boss for a new style and test out the relative range and functionality between the new and the old! :D

Looks slick!

Or 2 field testers...LOL..........DO'H

Top Bottom