My name is Joe and I am ready to Pellet Smoke. Memphis Pro or MAK 2 Star General?

BBQ Joe

Hi, I have narrowed it down to two smokers. Both the Memphis Pro and MAK Two Star General look great. I live in Minnesota and will use it at temperature as low as 40 degrees. No, I will not be bbqing in the winter. Too darn cold out for me. I plan to use it for everything from ribs and butts, to steaks and fish. Any comments would be appreciated.

jimsbarbecue

Joe we have a MAK and have used it in temps in the 40's. A Memphis Pro is insulated which helps in lower temps. The MAK is like a swiss army knife of grills with all the accessories you can get for it.

ACW3

Joe,
I have a MAK 2 Star and I have cooked right outside my garage in the teens and 20's. I never really noticed any problems since I was primarily cold smoking some steehhead trout. The outside cold temps actually helped the cold smoking process. As jimsbarbecue says, there are a lot of accessories available to "personalize" your grill. Good luck on your decision process.

Art (in North Carolina)

malawoo

Hi Joe I have a Mak 2 star and I have used mine as low as 20 and had no problem even with steaks. Love my Mak and with all the options and accessories is great. Good luck on your Decision?

Rip

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! I have a Traeger Lil Tex (does not get as hot as a MAK or MP) and did many cooks this last winter in single digit temps.

nitromadagascar

Hello
I live in Mn and i went to pick up my chains for my saw that had been sharpened, i have a outdoor wood boiler i heat my house and shop with, Wood Master boiler . Well i walked in and seen they had a wood Master pellet grill in there today. I was impressed of the quality, as it is very heavy built. Tomm i was going to buy my country smoker, but really looked this over. It is a nice grill and is insulated well and just well built. Doesnt have the bells like a mak, but just something new and was neet to check out. Owner of the shop has one for a year and loves it.Sure you could find it if you googled woodmaster

nepas

Welcome Joe

Lots of pellet grills out there for every budget. If i was to echo here it would be MAK. However the final decision is yours.
Good luck and SMOKE ON

cowgirl

Welcome Joe! I have a Memphis Pro and used it in 9 degree weather this winter..... I was really impressed with it.

rockyballbuster

Went with the MAK 2 Star, a few reasons. MADE IN USA, and QUALITY CONTROL and with MAK, the customer service begins after you buy it. I haven't done much research on Memphis Pro, read the threads that says it is works well, is well insulated, and burns less pellets as a result. Don't know where it's made or how their quality control is. Louisiana Grill is a nice unit, made in Canada, which is definitely better than Made in China IMO.

There are other similar pellet smoker forums on the web, one has compared smokers in detail.

BBQ Joe

Finally made up my mind, and convinced my wife that we cannot live without a pellet grill and decided on a MAK 2 Star. Tough choice. Ordered it from BP tonight and hopefully I will be smokin next weekend. Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom