Baby Back ribs with 2 changes

ht01us

Whipping up 3 racks of baby back ribs today. I'm making 2 changes.

First, I'm changing up the rub. I looked at Jan's Dry Rub on susanminor.org after reading about it on this site. So, I whomped some up.
P1000094.JPG

Into the bowl
P1000096.JPG

and mix it up
P1000097.JPG

My second change is to use a water pan. When I cooked on my gas and charcoal grills I used water pans. I've got the full upper rack for the MAK so I figured it would be pretty easy to put the water pan on the main grate and the ribs on the upper. I added boiling water to the pan as I started the grill on its way to 250

P1000099.JPG

P1000101.JPG

I rubbed and wrapped the ribs last night. Brought them up closer to room temperature as the grill started; then onto the upper rack.
P1000102.JPG

P1000103.JPG

I'll let these go for 3 hours to start. No foil for these. Just a splash of sauce at the end; take out the water pan; heat the grill up and finish for about 20 minutes.

About 3 1/2 hours later I took out the water pan and moved the ribs to the bottom rack. They didn't seem to be coming along. Actually they were doing just fine. Next time I'll keep the pan in the whole time and just increase the cooking time.

Here they are sauced and on the grill for the final 20 minutes.
P1000112.JPG

In a little while I'll start the Mak and Cheese using Meathead's Crack 'n Cheese recipe.

Think I'll post that on the contest site for the week.

Last edited:

ht01us

Do you think the water pan makes a big difference in moisture?
Hard to tell from just one cook, but I think it kept them from becoming real dry.. It also seemed like the meat didn't shrink back from the bones on the edges like II expected. It kind of spooked me at first, I thought they weren't cooking at all so I removed the pan after 3 1/2 or 4 hours. Later when I applied the bend test one rack just fell into 3 pieces so i figured they had cooked :)

I think the water/steam may also help enhance the smoke ring.

I'm definitely going to try it again with and then without to test the difference.

Top Bottom