First Pork Shoulder! Need some advice

DolphinLvr

Hello All!

I just picked up a 5.17 pound pork shoulder from our grocery store and I am planning on cooking it for a Wednesday night dinner.

From your experiences, how long should this take to cook? What temps do you all cook at?

I am thinking that the MAK should be set at around 225 till an IT of 165, then bump it up to say 275 till an IT of 195. Then FTC for a few hours at least.

Your input is very much appreciated!

TentHunter

Many ways to do pork shoulders. Some like to go strictly by temps, I don't.

Just my opinion, but instead of going by internal temp at the start, go by color: Set the pit temp 225° - 250° and keep the shoulder in until the color looks like you want it to look, then foil it and let it ride at around 275° (300° max) until done. Any higher than that and you could start squeezing all juices out.

As for time, a 5 lb shoulder won't take as long, but I'd allow for a minimum of 6 - 8 hours total time (including resting). Give it plenty of time to reach that magical 190 - 205° so the collagen is broken down and tender. And again, instead of going by a strict Internal temp at the end, go by feel: When you slide the probe in you should feel little resistance (feels like sticking it into soft butter).

I also like to add a small pan of water to keep humidity up. It helps to even out temps, keeps the roast moist & also helps the smoke ring develop nicely.

Whichever method you choose, I can't wait to see how it comes out!

DolphinLvr

Great Info Tent!

I figured I would try out a smaller shoulder before moving onto the ones Costco have which are bigger and in a double pack. I will most definately be posting up some pics!

I am still debating if I will inject the shoulder or not.

Top Bottom