I'm the smokeNcanuck and NEED a pellet gill!!

smokeNcanuck

Good Day EH!!
I'll start by saying I have been reading this forum for quite a while. I currently
do not have a pellet grill, but hope to change that real soon. I'm most likely going to
go with a Danson CS-450 or 570 as I have a dealer close by. I would really LOVE a MAK
but don't think I can hold out long enough(save enough cash). Also a huge pain in the butt to acquire as I am in "The Great White North".

This forum is GREAT! I have found a wealth a knowledge here so a big THAK-YOU to everyone!!

I do have an electric smoker (OBS)that I have been turning out some good eats on. Have seen a few fellers from that forum over here.... hey fellas.

I have a question right out of the gate for yall. In my search for a pellet supplier close to home I came a cross a local company making pellets. They did not advertise "food grade" or cooking pellets only heating. I have read A LOT about NOT using heating pellets for cooking, so I thought I would email this company and ask them about cooking pellets. This is the response I received: "Our premium hardwood pellet is made with virgin kiln dried hardwood sawdust material and has no additives, so no concerns if wanting to use for BBQ" They also state on there web site the same blurb about 100% hard wood with no fillers or binders.

So my question to the experts is, Should I believe these guys, does anybody know anything about this supplier. I believe I can not post a link, so if you want to PM me
I'll give ya the name of the company OR if I can I'll post it?? As a side I can get these pellets really cheap(0.14/LB) I would like to get some if you all think I'll be ok and burn them in my home made "Smoke Daddy" ....just till I get my pellet grill;)

Sorry for the long first post, Thanks for any help

sNc

ITFD#15

Welcome from Ontario
I have seen many posts that have debated the use of heating or food grade pellets and as far as I am concerned 18 to 20 bucks a bag is not worth the risk.
Good luck on that smoker

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum.

As for pellets, my understanding is its not just whether or not they're using hardwoods, but which hardwoods. They could be using whatever is available at the time of manufacture, so you may not know what you're getting. Also are the machine lubricants petroleum or food grade?

CarterQ

Welcome aboard! I wouldn't mess with pellets not specifically labeled "food grade" You spend the money for the cooker, you spend the money for the meat you put on the cooker, not worth it to cut corners on the pellets.

ITFD#15

Not sure where you are from but I live in the Owen Sound area and get my pellets from my Traeger dealer Home Building Center in Sauble Beach the owner is a neighbor of mine. If you get four bags at a time he will take two bucks off. I started with a CS and got my pellets from a place in Lucnow.
I have not done much searching but I have heard of places that are doing flavored pellets in the area. And unless you got the temp on high you don't use many pellets anyhow

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking. I have toyed with the idea of using heating pellets for the cook periods when I have wrapped the meat in foil. I have a MAK with a quick pellet dump feature so can make good use of that. Cook the meat to foil wrapping temp, dump the food grade pellets into a bucket, add the heating pellets and continue to cook until the foil wrapped meat is done then dump the heating pellets and reload up with the food grade pellets and save pellets. The MAK pellet dump feature makes it a snap to do. The other upside to this is the auger will hold about 5-10 mins of heating pellets to burn for the preheat period for the next time I cook. I have been told that I'd still get whatever bad stuff is in the heating pellets onto my cooking grate but it seems a little far fetched to me that I'd get enough bad stuff (whatever that could be) onto the grates to pose a health risk. I can just wipe the grate down before next use? Who knows. I haven't done it yet and may not but have been toying with the idea for some time now. I use Kingford charcoal in my WSM's sometimes and there's lots of added stuff to those briquettes but MANY, MANY pitmasters use it. Can't imagine heating pellets containing anything worse than K briquettes that would survive through the burning process and accumulate on my grate enough to pose a health issue! Just my opinion. Haven't acted on it, just mouthing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom