Starting a 90 day weight loss challenge this weekend, will my poor MAK be neglected?

TTNuge

I certainly hope not. I've already been working at losing weight the last month or so, been eating a lot of fish, chicken, turkey, etc. But after this weekend I really need to step it up. I've been hitting the gym at least 3 times a week and plan on going more for the next three months at least. I plan to continue with the foods listed above but I need some more ideas.

Anyone have any healthy/diet food recipes, tips, hints, advice? Big Poppa, weren't you talking about a healthy or diet type pellet smoking cookbook at one point? I really struggle with the sides especially so lately it's really just been the main item and then a helping of vegetables, nothing else. What else can I do?

My ultimate goal is to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year. Obviously I'd love to lose as much of that in the next 90 days but I'm in it for the long haul. I'd already cut out the snacks, reduced portion sizes, etc but I need to take that next step and really be serious about it.

Thoughts?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I battle weight....went from a 40 waist to a 34 now am in 36 waist....The problem is that crash diets are just that...crashes. You feel good after doing it but unless you make long term lifestyle choices this wont be your last diet.

As far as sides go...I usually stick to the protein based diets....Many people think that you only lose fat when you diet but you lose both muscle and fat so I like prpotein to help with the energy and such.

Its calories in and calories out. Simple.

I am trying to get time to do a smokers diet but just cant fit it in

squirtthecat

MrsSTC and I went through the same thing a few years back..

That's why you'll see me doing lots of turkey/chicken cooks with simple veggie sides. That's about all we eat. A bland veggie dish will turn out fantastic with some MAK smoke and low salt BBQ rub added to it. Just treat your MAK every now and then like it is your house oven rather than a grill.

Toss out the stuff with refined sugars and heavy amounts of starch.. Whole wheat pasta and brown rice is your friend. (we like the Texmati rice)

Losing 50 pounds in 90 days would be rather dangerous. You don't want to dehydrate. Had a friend do something similar and ended up in the hospital for a night.

sparky

i did weigh 210 lbs before my stroke. now 185 or so. its hard to lose weight as you get older. my doctor wants me down to 175 lb so i can get off some of these pills. if i gave up FT it would be easier. ya right. i would rather give up moon pies and lucky charms.

scooter

Check out Food Lovers Weight Loss program. Lost 40lbs in 5 or 6 months and have kept it off over a year now without changing what I eat so much as what I eat with it.
Main points:
Eat breakfast within 30 mins of waking up to get your metabolism going and keep it going all day by eating something no more than every 3 hours apart. Means 3 meals with 3 snacks in between. Breakfast then 3 hrs later a snack, 3 hours later lunch, 3 hours later snack, 3 hours later dinner, 3 hours later snack. You're never hungry on Food Lovers

Keep portions size down which is easier because you're eating every 3 hours

You will learn what food to combine to keep your metabolism going full bore all day

You'll learn what suppliments to take to keep your metabolism humming

drink 8-12 8oz glasses of water every day

Get at least 7 hours sleep each night

Exercise regularly

Doing the above and you'll be able to eat pretty much anything you want as long as you eat the correct portion size and eat in the right combinations. Protein, fast carb and slow carb.

I've been BBQing every weekend and eating ribs, pulled pork, brisket, pizza, burgers etc and have not gained. The best weight loss program you could do is the one you can live with where you're not denying yourself anything and you keep doing. Like BP said. it has to be long term or you end up in the weight loss cycle going up and down.

Forgot to add: As others have said, stay away from processes sweeteners! Choose raw or unprocessed (or minimally processed) sweeteners that your metabolism will have to work (and take time doing it) to convert into glucose. White processed sugar, high fructose corn syrup etc will need virtually no metabolizing and go directly dumped into your blood spiking your blood sugar level. Unprocessed sugars are the way to go. Make your metabolism earn its keep and keep it going all day!

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

scooter's advice is a good one. It is not hard to do. I pack what would be a lunch most days and eat it in shifts. Cooking on the MAK there are plenty of sugar free rubs and sauces . Just look around and before long you will find a good supply. Use splenda or stevia for sweet. We will cook a protien and two veggie dish a couple days a week. Remember less then 1000 calories a day and you won't lose weight. It is not just a advertisement ploy.I have said this before when we have a rib eye steak at our house one steak feeds myself my wife and daughter who is in her 20's. It is portion control. Really try Scooters method it keeps you from being hungry and eating the wrong things.

383inTheD

Scooter's advice is right on the spot. I thought I knew how to eat right and then when I was approaching my 40's I realized I had to change something. A work colleague recommended to read up on nutrition and the body metabolism with one or Dr. Barry Sears books. I picked one up (e.g. Amazon.com: The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently : Reset Your Genetic Code : Prevent Disease : Achieve Maximum Physical Performance (9780060391508): Barry Sears, Bill Lawren: Books) and it was easy reading. This guy explains things in simple terms that really open your eyes to how our body works. Follow Scooter's advice and it summarizes the book. If you want more details the book is an inexpensive investment towards good health.

Grumpy

Check out this diet: Ideal To Go

Low Carb, High Protein... you won't lose muscle. The theory behind this plan puts the pancreas in check while you adjust your food intake. The diet has phases. Properly going through all 4 phases is essential to avoid the yo-yo effect of many diets as mentioned above.

Men typically lose 4-6 lbs a week on this plan. I can verify that it works because I did it. Lost 100 lbs and have kept the weight off for over a year. It's not cheap, but it isn't any more expensive than Nutri-System, Weight Watchers, or any of the other commercial diets out there.

StephanieAgone

Hello,
Yes this was the healthy diet. This will definitely works. You can count your calories intake. Don't eat bulk at one time. Eat small portion in small interval of time.
Try to build muscles this will help to remove loose skin.

lovesmoke

It is very good that you want to loss your weight. Unnecessary weight is harmful for human body. But I think you should do it by follow of any doctor's suggestion. It will be better for you.

dnew

Losing the weight is the easy part, maintaining the weight loss is the difficult part. You have to embrace the life style change to keep the weight off. I know because in 2005 I weighed well over 400# and I lost the needed weight and maintained that loss. Not always easy since I love BBQ to include cooking and judging. I congratulate you for taking the first step and support your moving forward.

Top Bottom