Pork Butt Ham and Three Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes Part 1

bflodan

Ive made a couple of hams whith whole legs but wanted to do something smaller this time!! May I add that out of all the hams ive made this was by far the juciest and best tasteing one yet!!

Started with an 8lb Pork Butt.. Made a brine with Kosher Salt, Brown Sugar and Pink Salt...Let it cure for 4 days...
001-4.jpg

Took it out of the brine and let it rest uncovered and refrigerated for 24 hours..
003-3.jpg

Baked Six potatoes on the Mak last night then refrigerated till today... Grated potatoes along with fresh grated Gruyere, White Sharp Chedder And Parmesan Reggiano Cheeses.. Added Sour Cream and Diced Shallots.
005-4.jpg

Ham after about 4.5 hrs at 225
006-5.jpg

Glazed Ham and added potatoes with about 2.5 hrs to go..
008-4.jpg

Workin on her Tan
012-2.jpg

bflodan

Part 2

Ham and potatoes 2hrs later
017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Bumped it up to 250 for about 30 more min...Pulled ham at 157IT and let rest about 20 min and poured ourselves a nice refreshing Blue Moon!
020.jpg

Sliced and served
025.jpg

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

My Mak does it again!!!

TentHunter

I like that you tried this with a boned Shoulder Butt and kept the curing brine simple. Its another example of how versatile the shoulder cuts really are.

A couple of questions:

I've done a few hams from Picnic shoulders with the bone in and needed to inject them to get it cured all the way through. Did you need to inject this one with some of the brine or did boning it out first allow the brine to get in deep enough on its own?

Care to share your Brine recipe (curious about the salinity)?

What was the glaze?

Outstanding cook, all of it! :)

bflodan

TentHunter, I never removed the bone... I did cut around it but it wasnt coming out easy and I didnt want to mangle the thing so I left it in... The brine did penetrate all the way through without any injecting and was salty but was not overpowering and pink pretty much through out the whole thing....I was worried that there would be too much fat in a butt, but I was wrong...I think it just added that much more flavor...Plus it was a perfect size for my family with enough for sandwiches for the week...I dont think I will do one any other way after this....Other than maybe playing with the glaze... The glaze on this one was just Brown Sugar, Dijon Mustard and Crushed Garlic, from an article that Deb sent me awhile back..Thanks for the good words...I highly recommend this one..

bflodan

The brine was just 1 gal of water, 1.5 cups Kosher Salt, 2 cups packed brown sugar and 8 teaspoons of pink salt... It said to brine for
1/2 day per pound than to let rest for 24 hours uncovered in refrig before cooking..

Top Bottom