De Bunking Beer Can Chicken. It's a hoax

Big Poppa

Administrator
Beer Can Chicken has nothing to do with beer. Beer can chicken comes out good because it is a vertical cook. Of the vertical apparatuses you can use the beer can is the worst.

Loving some flames that are brewing....(no pun intended) I cooked beer can chicken and liked the chicken...I went to pour the beer out and noticed that there was the same amount of liquid in the can after cooking. Hmmm I said and didnt think of it again...Until I read the Naked whiz scientific study Beer Can Chicken, Myth or Fact? -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

It all became very clear to me. I do love the people who say the malts and yeast make the skin good. How can it if the beer never gets hot enough to steam or boil? How can it if the actually steaming if any is only in the top third of the breasts? How is it if the interior of the bird is coated with a membrane?

Having some fun. If you like beer can chicken that is great...There is just no scientific data to support the internet lore.

If you do like the concept notice that using a beer can is the least efficient option available to you...the ceramic ones are way better.

TTNuge

I found the same thing right after my wife bought me the $40+ ceramic Traeger beer can chicken holder. Been doing them spatchcocked ever since and I think the beer holder only got used once. I don't always tell her that though! :)

TentHunter

Interesting article!

I was never real impressed with the whole concept. It always seemed like more of a craze than anything. In fact, I've had some where people were just raving about how good it was and I thought to myself, "Are you kidding me? this is dry!"

It just seems to me because the breast meat is higher in the grill where temps are higher it cooks quicker than the dark meat. I think they just liked the novel concept of cooking it on a beer can. But I reckon that's ok too :).

Last edited:

squirtthecat

I like doing one every now and then just for fun. I've got the $4.99 stands.

It's a cheap cook when trying new pellets and/or fiddling with the MAK/Traeger settings. And any recipe that starts with 'drink 1/2 a can of beer' is A-OK in my book. :cool:

Hey Sparky - I saw Fat Tire in cans the other day!

CarterQ

Great article!

I remember when the beer can chicken craze really took off. I was using a Webber gasser and one thing that was great about it was the rotisserie, we did whole chickens all the time and they came out killer. Had a friend who insisted on the beer can route as the secret to chicken nirvana so we did a side by side at a party for kicks using the same rubs etc. Beer can got crushed in a landslide.

Tried one last year for a little gathering just to revisit the concept and make sure I wasn't missing anything-

IMG_0221.jpg

(Wow look how clean the drip pan still is!)

IMG_0222.jpg

Wasn't terrible but the general consensus amongst guests? "You should've Spatchcocked it" Nuff said.

Last edited:

Bear

I do mine using Chicken Rockets. They are cast iron holders that you put your liquid in, then put the chicken over it like you would the beer can. I have never done chicken on a beer can, so I have nothing to compare to, but with the Chicken Rockets, the liquid DOES boil. Maybe it has to do with the cast iron base.

I did spatchcock chicken one time. My family all told me to go back to the drunk chicken. I really wish it was as good, because it's a lot easier.

Ira7

I agree with the overall judgment.

But...

I have the cheapwire stands that hold the cans, and use them occasionally with sodas (especially Orange) to impart a sweet taste. I also use Cola, which I always use for my ribs. And they steam up just find. (In fact, the liquid will seriously scald you.)

So the stands themselves are an easy way to get that moisture into the chamber, as opposed to using a big pan which uses a lot more.

Next Thanksgiving, I may get one of those Turkey Cannons, a similar device that raises the bird off the grate, you pour the liquid into, and it still keeps the bird mostly horizontal.

I love to smoke my birds, and I don't see how it could hurt.

Last edited:

Bear

Interesting, do you pre heat the chicken rocket before putting the chicken on it?

No, but I do bring the "rocket fuel" to a boil before I pour it in, so it is hot when I start.

I have done turkey breasts on them with good results also.

scooter

I'm a believer in BC chicken! The first one I did came out the best! Beer was steaming out of the can when it was done and beer flavor infused every part of that chicken. Wife thought the same thing. We loved it. Others I've done since then have come out less spectacular. I looked over my cook logs and I found since I started I began cooking chicken hotter and quicker. I figure low and slow to give the beer enough time to infuse is what has been producing the inferior BCC's.
BP, the bottom part of the can is exposed to 250 pit temps which is good enough to get the beer steaming.
Also, you don't need to buy beer that comes in a can, just use any soda can, rinse it out and fill with your favorite bottled beer if you like.

sparky

its fun cooking beer can chicken all though i do like spatchcock chicken better. heh squitthecat, FT in cans. haven't seen it yet. i will look for it. ty.

scooter

Read it. It's ammusing how serious they are at debunking something that millions of backyarders know which is beer does infuse its flavor into a chicken using the beercan chicken method. The next thing Naked Whiz can go do is to scientifically prove that due to its wingspan vs body weight that a bumblebee can not fly.... :)

The claims that BC chic produces a moister chic or crispy skin is something I haven't noticed. Just that done the way I did it that first time it was the most amazing tasting beer infused chicken we've (wife, kiddies and me) ever had. I mean, that beer flavor wasn't just in the top breast meat, it was in the dark meat as well and it wasn't a background beer note, the flavor was up front and center. I know for a fact that BC chicken is real and works cause we nailed it that first time but subsequent changes in how I cook chicken have changed the parameters of the cook and also the flavor of the end product.

Last edited:

ITFD#15

Wow this post has got some mileage. I use gingerale and garlic, then stuff a peel nectarine in the neck to lock in the steam. At the end of the cook I bast with BBQ sauce and turn up the heat to crisp up the skin, everyone love them.

Top Bottom