Howdy! My name is Chili Head and I want to burn some pellets!

Chili Head

Hi everyone!
Some of you know me from the bradley smoker website which has led me to this place.
I've been wanting to get into pellet smoking for sometime now and I'm ready to take the plunge! I looked at treagers from the local dealer here in town and after doing some research on MAKS I think that MAK is the way to go. I love the design and features of the MAK 2 STAR. I'm the kind of person that likes to handle the item before I buy though and buying sight unseen worries me some. I still have a couple questions too before I pull the trigger. Lets say I bake a desert, is there going to be a smoke flavor to it? A smokey tasting peach cobbler or pineapple upside down cake wont go over well LOL. I like to grill/smoke in ALL kinds of weather too which leads me to my second question. Is the pellet boss completley waterproof? Will rain effect it? Thanks for any help you can provide in easing my mind about this. I think I'll be ordering a MAK very soon!

Rip

Welcome to the forum! In general for pellet smokers, the higher the temp, the less smoke created. The temp I cook deserts at, cakes, cobblers, etc, imparts very little smoke flavor. What little does show up I consider to be an enhancement, even for the deserts you listed.

The MAK is a great grill, you won't regret getting one. I'm sure you will get plenty of responses re. The pellet boss.

squirtthecat

Welcome to the dark side CH! I've got a MAK 1 Star - the little brother to the 2 Star.

I'm probably a 2 hour drive from you... I-72 to Springpatch than I-55 S just across the Montgomery County line.

You're more than welcome to come over and look at the 1 Star. The Pellet Boss controller is the same as the 2 Star, the grill is bit smaller, and doesn't have the warming box on the right side.

This weekend is shot, not sure what your schedule looks like?

Last edited:

malawoo

Well I am from Oregon which is quite rainy and I have no problems with my Mak 2 star general. I cook pies,cakes and brownies in my Mak and I can never taste any smoke from my Mak. Love the Mak.

Big Poppa

Administrator
As they have said at the higher temps it is not a crazy amount of smoke. If you do go cook on Squirts One Star that one smokes more than the two star. Welcome and if we can help get you your grill let us know!

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking! With baking, at higher temps pellet cookers are consuming pellets at such a rate that they don't create a lot of smoke. Couple that with the "usually" shorter periods of time your baked item will be in the cooker and you will not detect smoke unless you have ultra sensitive taste buds and even then, as Rip indicated, I think you'll find it an enhancement. Of all the baked goods I've done in my 2 star I've never tasted any smoke on them which is why I attached a Smoke Daddy to my 2 Star to help add a more pronounced smoke flavor to items cooked over 300F or at lower temps for under 2-3 hours. I prefer a more pronounced smoke flavor than pellet pits offer in those two circumstances. YMMV.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Squirt thanks for the offer! I will take you up on that before I buy. I'm looking at a time frame of atleast two to three weeks before I can get over you way. I'll contact you in a couple weeks when I know for sure when I can get there.

squirtthecat

Squirt thanks for the offer! I will take you up on that before I buy. I'm looking at a time frame of atleast two to three weeks before I can get over you way. I'll contact you in a couple weeks when I know for sure when I can get there.

Sounds like a plan! We'll be gone Easter week, but other than that, our weekends are pretty much open.

Chili Head

Yeah I know squirt! There are a couple places that sell pellets here but I only know of one brand they sell for sure. I'm going pellet shopping tomorrow. I may end up doing a bulk order through big poppa depending on what brands I find. I'm really wanting BBQ delight since the masses here say they are the best.

Top Bottom