What does your area make or grow that is special?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im in New Holland PA for the Meadow Creek Open House. The greatest thing about getting away for the keyboard is to stumble into new discoveries.

Last night at dinner we ordered a cheese plate with artisanal cheeses from this area. There was one we argued about whether it was a pecorino romano or reggiano parmesean.
we were horses butts.....it was a pa cave cheddar.....

All of the cheeses were world class.....

This brought two things to mind....

1. I am going cheese shopping

2. What does your area produce that is undiscovered and fabulous?

In San Luis Obispo it is chardonnay and Pinot and Sourdough bread

Give me some secrets!

Star1021Scott

We'll I'm in Tennessee just outside of Nashville, 40 miles to the south or so you may have heard of a certain distillery. Jack Daniels? :)

ITFD#15

Local to us is beef, lots of good beef and lots of people that know how to grow the best beef. And just down the road orchards that grow everything but peaches and cherries there a little further away. Any kind of apple you want they grow.

sparky

vegetables. alot of veges are grown here. upper part of the central valley. plus in camino we have apple hill. lots of apples there. cherries too. we have a saturday morning farmers market that is great. love getting fresh veges the are picked the day ya buy them. there are also alot of small wineries in the hills around here. :)

Last edited:

Deb

New Haven pizza
Steamed cheeseburgers

We have some very good artisanal cheeses also but I don't think of those as a regional thing even though they are local.

Last edited:

malawoo

Here in Oregon Hazel nuts 98 percent of world supply Berries galore,Veggies, fruits,meat and love the farmers market here also.

scooter

About an hour north of me is the world famous Napa Valley/Sonoma Valley wine growing regions. Onions in Vacaville, garlic in Gilroy. Sourdough bread in San Francisco.

BP, I think you can include Santa Maria BBQ in SLO area?

Trooper

In Ottawa County, many, many blueberry fields. Also many nursury growers of both shrubs and flowers.
Living along the west side of Lake Michigan provides many senic views.
This one was last nights signature. (4-9-11)
DSCN0720.jpg

Sunsets never tire me.

Uinta smoking

Here in Utah? I guess we have Salt, from the lake, by the City. Brine shrimp are in the salty lake. That's about all I can think of right now.

CarterQ

We grow some of the best apricots, peaches, nectarines, plums, grapes, pomegranates, persimmons, and citrus in the world!

Bear

At my house, it's cotton fields in all directions. Arkansas is also the #1 rice producer in the US.

TentHunter

I saw the thread title and immediately, before I read the actual post, thought, "Corn... oh yeah and CHEESE!" Ohio is dairy country, lots and lots of dairy. Ohio also has the largest Amish settlement anywhere, so that equals cheese... lots and lots of cheese.

tech1951

I live in Missoula MT. Beef & vegatables are common & good, but what is really special here is Microo Brews
There are 3 exceptional brewerys in town, Bayern Brewery, Big Sky & Kettle Haus brewerys.
All 3 make different beers & specialty beers according to seasons & hollidays. If you ever get a chance to try any of them yiou be
be pleasantly pleased.

Sparky, many of them are better than FT

Top Bottom