100% Flavor Wood Pellets

MAK DADDY

I have seen a few of these come into the market under different Brand names. I have received phone calls from MAK Grill owners using them about problems. They may not burn into fly ash and therefore clog up the fire pot causing issues with smoke, heat, excessive ash etc. If you want to try them buy a single bag first so you are not stuck with a lot of them if they don't meet your expectations.

I am not naming anyone in particular or bashing the manufacturers or retailers in any way, some have simply not performed well in the MAK, partly (I think) due to the reduced fan speeds controlling tight temperatures. The 100% woods that I have seen work well are Alder and Oak (that's probably why they are the main mix for most all the big brands).

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Bob I have had [people report that a new 60/40 blend doesnt burn completely also...I have zero experience so they very well could.

KyNola

Bob, I had one particular manufacturer's 100% flavor wood pellets not burn well in the MAK. I started that whole firestorm but since then I have burned 100% flavor wood pellets from a different manufacturer and they work great. I have another manufacturer that I am about to try and have a third one ready to try as well. Following your lead I won't name manufacturers as well. I will be interested in your testing results.

What percentage of flavor wood to "base" wood is the recommendation and what "base" wood is recommended?

scooter

I have burned 100% hickory pellets from BD (bought 160lbs of an accidental batch) and cookinpellets.com. Both have burned well in my 2 Star.

MAK DADDY

What percentage of flavor wood to "base" wood is the recommendation and what "base" wood is recommended?

Thanks for the info KyNola!
Not sure, as you said you have been successful with other brands of 100% flavors so any mix may work with the right manufacturer or process. Maybe it will end up being certain manufactures or processes that make the difference. I hope not to have to name any brands in specific that's why I am suggesting you try a small batch first before buying a bunch that you are not happy with. Lots of pellet manufactures are popping up now so this should get interesting :) We like to say the MAK can burn any brand BBQ pellet but we are finding in a few cases with these 100% hardwood flavors it doesn't burn well.

Another clarification I should make, burning these pellets will not void any MAK warranties or cause any long term effects on your MAK Grill. They simply may cause you headaches and the MAK may not perform at the peak standards that you are used to.

Top Bottom