100% Flavor Wood Pellets

MAK DADDY

I have seen a few of these come into the market under different Brand names. I have received phone calls from MAK Grill owners using them about problems. They may not burn into fly ash and therefore clog up the fire pot causing issues with smoke, heat, excessive ash etc. If you want to try them buy a single bag first so you are not stuck with a lot of them if they don't meet your expectations.

I am not naming anyone in particular or bashing the manufacturers or retailers in any way, some have simply not performed well in the MAK, partly (I think) due to the reduced fan speeds controlling tight temperatures. The 100% woods that I have seen work well are Alder and Oak (that's probably why they are the main mix for most all the big brands).

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Actually the ones that are causing problems from what I hear is a 60/40 blend from oregon. I have no personal experience just what I have heard.

TTNuge

I was one of those with issues with a certain 100% flavor wood pellet. Went back to a blended pellet and no more problems. For me it was just 1 brand that I tried but have been gun shy to try again since I have a couple hundred pounds of pellets I can hardly use now. Been trying to get through them by using a little at a time mixed with others.

KyNola

Trent, you and I were in that boat. However I have burned 200 pounds of 100% hickory from another manufacturer in the same state as the one you were referring to and they burned just fine. I have 180 pounds of hickory from 2 other manufacturers including one in Oregon that I am about to try.

If 100% isn't good and 60/40 isn't good I'm guessing 80/20 is going to be the suggested preferred mix but what wood is the correct one for the 80% base wood, oak or alder?

Big Poppa

Administrator
The BBQers delight are 2/3 base wood (oak) and 1/3 flavor wood...also Bbqers delights makes all the pellets that they brand

jimsbarbecue

Lets just say don't buy 100% apple,cherry,pecan,maple. 100% hickory can work but I find makes more dust.
Stick with BBQ Delight or the Brand that came with your pellet grill.

Here is view of the pot after trying 100% Cherry

1249354383_HZT7n-M.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom