MAK Cheese Day

nepas

Had to do these before we had a blistering 80* out....WOOOHOOO no snow.

msch3.jpg

msch4.jpg

Using Bbq Deelite sugar maple.
msch2.jpg

Hit the cheese with 3 hours of smoke. Had to pull em cuz the temp outside was reaching 83*

Good color
msch6.jpg

Ready for the long haul
msch5.jpg

ACW3

How long do you typically wait to taste the smoked cheese? I smoked some Irish cheddar with alder before St. Patricks Day and I haven't opened it yet. Soon, however.

Art

nepas

How long do you typically wait to taste the smoked cheese? I smoked some Irish cheddar with alder before St. Patricks Day and I haven't opened it yet. Soon, however.

Art

I think its all in ones taste on how strong they like the smoke. I have cheese in the garage fridge thats around 6 months now. Your Irish might be close to opening. I did some Irish also it it was good after 3 weeks.

TentHunter

Like Nepas said, most aspects of cheese smoking - What type of smoke to use, how long to smoke it, when to open it, etc. - depends on how YOU like it.

Eat it right away and the smoke flavor is a lilttle more pungeant but moreso on the outside of the cheese. Those who like it strong can eat from the outside and those who like it less smoky can eat from the inside.

Leave it sit vaccum sealed and the smoke permeates the cheese more evenly and mellows making for some smooth cheese.

I like openening it at various stages to enjoy the subtle differences as it matures.

Top Bottom