Favorite Rub and Smoking Wood for Turkey

Kevwah

I'm cooking a turkey for Easter dinner and I'm wondering what everyone's favorite rub/wood combination would be. I'm partial to Plowboys Yardbird and applewood smoke on poultry, but let me know what you like.

CarterQ

Last turkey I did I used Hasty Bake Greek, a little garlic Olive oil for glue and maple wood. Came out very good.

scooter

Blue Star Seasoning with a sprinkle of Yardbird over that. I use apple wood with anything that has wings.

TentHunter

I like this combo; it works well:

Rub:
1 TBS sage
1 1/2 tsp Crushed Rosemary
1 1/2 tsp fresh cracked Black Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Salt

Wood: Apple wood

ITFD#15

This is the first cook I ever did on a pellet smoker and you know what it turned out perfect. I really wish that I could say it was my recipe but aO cant this, believe it or not this come from a recipe that was put out by the Beer Store... In Ontario you can only buy beer at a Beer Store and they have published a magazine that has different stuff in it, including recipes.

Turkey & Brine Ingredients
-10-15lb Young Turkey -4 liters vegetable broth -1 large onion cut into 6 pieces
-4 cloves garlic
-2 bay leaves -1 cup sugar -1 cup sea salt -1 tbsp dried rosemary -1 tbsp sage
-1 tbsp dried thyme -1 tbsp dried savory -2 liters ice water
Dry Rub Ingredients
-2 tbsp vegetable oil -2 tbsp granulated onion -1 tbsp granulated garlic -2 tablespoon paprika
-2 tsp white sugar -1 tsp celery salt -1 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp sage -1 tsp dry mustard -½ tsp cayenne pepper
Cooking Ingredients
1 large onion peeled and cut into 6 pieces
2 celery stalks cut into 4 pieces each
6 cloves garlic
½ lb melted butter
BRINING PROCEDURE
1. Add all ingredients except the ice water and place on the stove on high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 min.
2. Remove from heat, pour into a large pail or stockpot and cool to room temperature.
3. Once the brine has reached room temperature, add the ice water and place the entire Turkey in the brine. Ensure that the entire Turkey is submerged.
4. Leave the Turkey in the Brine overnight and Brine up to 24 hours.

DRY RUB PROCEDURE
1. To prepare the dry rub place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Remove the Turkey from the brine.
3. Pat the Turkey dry with a paper towel to ensure it is dry.
4. Rub the Vegetable Oil all over the outside of the Turkey and spread the rub generously all over the Turkey.

COOKING PROCEDURE
1. Preheat Smoker to 350°F. using Hickory Wood Chips.
2. Place the Turkey Breast side up in an aluminum roasting pan.
3. Add the onion, celery, and garlic cloves around the Turkey in the Roasting Pan.
4. Place the Turkey on the smoker and Baste every 30 minutes with the melted butter.
5. Smoke the Turkey until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh
6. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 20-30 minutes then carve!

Top Bottom