It's M... Ma... Mag... MAK Magic!

383inTheD

I've been itching to give this a more serious run at a great meal since the new MAK arrived. Even though mother nature was playing against me, I just had to go for it. I found myself in the local market and was able to find a Picnic cut (they didn't carry Boston butts!?!).

So at 5:20 am the MAK was ignited in 38 degree weather with 15-20 MPH winds. I cut the skin off and dusted the meat with Rudy's Rub (the Texas based chain) and placed the prize on the grill by 5:35. Man I need a coffee. As some sunlight started to peek over the horizon the winds picked up even more. The day was consistently 25-30 MPH winds - not ideal for this activity.

I think I used enough pellets to heat up the state of Vermont with all the wind today. I know I have to plan better and account for the weather (within reason) and cook more than one item at a time. But hey, I'm still giddy and had to get my feet wet.

I've never cooked a Picnic so I really didn't know what to expect. Thanks to this great forum I read up on those who have gone before me. Following the advice of many I did not even peek under the hood to see how things were progressing. When the internal temp (PB set to 235) hit 165 I foiled and increased temp to 275. The next milestone was to get the internal up to 195. I held it between 195-203 for an hour and then took it off for a towel nap in the cooler (yet another great tip from the forum).

So, here it is before pulling...

View attachment 437

And on my plate with a cilantro slaw and corn on the cob (taking advice of many, I've switched to light beer after purchasing the MAK).

View attachment 438

This is my second meal on the MAK and the family loved it.

Last edited:

383inTheD

Ah, the slaw ... here's what I did:

Sliced some fresh green cabbage (enough for 4 sandwiches)
Added 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Added about 1 tablespoon mayo (or your favorite salad dressing)
Chopped up 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Fresh ground pepper.

Best to make it up an hour or more before eating. I didn't follow any recipe I was just being creative with what I had in the kitchen. I thought it went really well together. The cilantro comes thru but not overbearing. Happy eating!

Top Bottom