My name is greg and I will soon be a pellet smoker

grillinguy

I've been a gas grilling guy for a few years now and ready to step up to wood. I've heard great things about slow cooking and smoking foods using wood and looking to get a good starter grill. Are their any guides or suggestions on what type of wood pellet grill to get?

cowgirl

Welcome to the forum Greg! I use Memphis Pro and really love it. :)
It's the only pellet smoker that I am familiar with so I'm not much help to you. lol
I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard Greg. As for what grill to get it all depends on what you plan to cook and how much you are comfortable paying. Traeger and GMG have decent entry level grills but as you get hooked on smoking (and you will) you might find yourself wanting more features and capabilities.

If you can, stretch and get the best unit you can afford. I have a MAK 2 star and just love it, it was my first pellet grill and I am glad I went above what I though was "reasonable" to spend on a grill at the time. Both MAK and Memphis make very nice "starter" grills that have many of the features of their top of the line grills along with the same great quality. Generally it is more expensive to buy cheap and upgrade later to get what you really want. There are ton of pellet grill users on here with experience on all brands, so ask questions and hopefully you can find the grill that fits you perfectly!

ITFD#15

Welcome to the forum, am a Traeger owner as well. Lots of people on this site that can help with your purchase.

Rip

Welcome to the forum Greg! You can't go wrong, they will all produce excellent food!

Uinta smoking

Hi Greg, welcome. I've read great things about the MAK but I love my traeger 070, it works for what I'm cooking and who I'm cooking for. Good luck in your choice, you'll love it. I don't think my oven has been used since I got mine. It's a good thing my father-in law does refer/heating to clean the cob webs when I'll need it next holliday season.

So Cal Smoker

You're going to need to do alot of research and ask alot of questions before buying a grill. If you don't, it could cost you a lot of money and your sanity.

scooter

No guides that I would trust. Just do your research, compare features, how many square inches of cooking space and consider where it's manufactured.

Welcome to PelletSmoking!

grillinguy

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Looks like some research is in store. I kind of had the feeling that you get what you pay for so going for the top of the budget range will pay off overall.

grillinguy

oh, by the way, I'm excited to find out the it doesn't take that much longer to bbq using wood pellets than gas, plus you get way more flavor. Looking forward to it!

Top Bottom