Ham

CarterQ

Easter is coming up this week and the inlaws have invited themselves to our house for Easter dinner :D

Of course they want ham so I was wondering has anyone tried smoking a pre cooked Ham? Do you rub it with anything or just toss it in till done? Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Last edited:

TentHunter

By precooked hams I'm assuming you mean a pre-cured ham that needs to just be roasted. I've done both fresh-cured hams and pre-cured hams. They are fine simply following the recommended cooking instructions using your smoker. Hickory is always a good flavor of smoke for ham.

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, I've done a few of these. Adds a nice flavor...

Pat it dry and apply your favorite low salt rub. Smoke at 255° until the IT is 140° and it is ready to eat.

The last one I scored the outside a bit.. Ended up with Jabba The Ham. ;)

20101023143349.jpg

(save the pan drippings!)

Last edited:

smoker pete

Oh yeah, I've done a few of these. Adds a nice flavor...

Pat it dry and apply your favorite low salt rub. Smoke at 255° until the IT is 140° and it is ready to eat.

The last one I scored the outside a bit.. Ended up with Jabba The Ham. ;)

20101023143349.jpg

(save the pan drippings!)

Nice looking HamZilla Squirt. What do you do with the saved pan drippings?

squirtthecat

Nice looking HamZilla Squirt. What do you do with the saved pan drippings?

Good for basting, flavoring some beans, having a shot with a beer, etc. I have a bunch of little containers of pan drippings in the freezer. Now if I only would have labeled them..

I start with water in the pan so it adds a little moisture while it cooks.

Pigstar

I have done a couple of hams on my Traeger. After about an hour of smoking using apple pellets, I baste every 1/2 hour with sweet and sour sauce obtained from my local Chinese eatery. I continue to heat until inside of ham is 140 degrees. Delish!!

malawoo

I have done quite a few and I like to make a good glaze like Deb said or a brown honey glaze is good I even taken a spiral cut one and did a glaze and was pretty yummy. Many ways to do one and they all turn out pretty yummy.

nolesfan954

I buy the pre-smoked ham and inject it with as much maple syrup as it will hold. I smoke it on the MAK (misting it every now and them with apple juice) until it reaches a 160* internal temp. After it rests a bit, I inject a little more maple syrup. No rubs, no glazes--couldn't be simpler and the taste is fantastic!

Canyonier

This is a question for squirtthecat. I like the looks of the wire rack the ham is resting on. Did you make it? Buy it?
Glenn

Top Bottom