what do you do different

Big Poppa

Administrator
that when you first got your pellet grill....

I cook everything lower...275 seems to be my top roasting temp these days...

I also foil way sooner with briskeya and butts

I foil my ribs

I wear gloves

I have sharp knives

I use cutting boards

HoDeDo

I sleep 4 hrs min at comps :)
I do a two stage temp cook.
I foil everything.
I have a generator available all the time.
I change other factors, rubs/sauces etc. more freely, knowing my smoke/heat profile are the same everytime.
I don't sweat skinning split wood, seasoning it, or finding it.

KimG SOW

I sleep 4 hrs min at comps :)
I do a two stage temp cook.
I foil everything.
I have a generator available all the time.
I change other factors, rubs/sauces etc. more freely, knowing my smoke/heat profile are the same everytime.
I don't sweat skinning split wood, seasoning it, or finding it.

We also don't kill ourselves or the 800# cooker trying to get it up into the trailer.:p

nepas

Well i dont do comps.....cuz i dont wanna put ya'll on the street....LOL

I do about the same as BP but gave up the foil.

Oh and my knives.......Super sharp. If i get cut i dont even bother with stitches cuz its a clean cut. Just pinch it together, tape it, glove back on and keep on truckin. WOOO HOOO

jimsbarbecue

A lot of the same here
Sharper Knives.
Smoke/heat profile is the big one. Easy to look at my log sheet and can duplicate.
Wear nitrile gloves over cotton gloves instead of seeing how long I can hold hot food.
Use a invertor on long cooks so there are no surprises.
Always order over $39.95 for FREE shipping! :cool:

Rip

that when you first got your pellet grill....

I cook everything lower...275 seems to be my top roasting temp these days... Check
I also foil way sooner with briskey and butts - Check
I foil my ribs - Check
I wear gloves - Check
I have sharp knives - Haha, efforting...
I use cutting boards - Check

The biggest change has been the number of household meals I cook a week and the amount of involvement I have in meal planning! (and that pesky belt notch thingie)

Amen on the Free Shipping!

CarterQ

No Foil

Temps 250 - 275 seem to be the norm now

Only use BBQers delight pellets, my experimentation phase is over now, decided it was time to settle down...

Use disposable cutting boards

Marinade with a vacuum

I use a griddle for things other than pancakes

Spatchcock the chickens and turkeys

Only use gas for heating the house, drying the clothes, and running the stove.

Last edited:

Uinta smoking

Marinade with a vacuum?? One of those "wet/dry" shop vacs.?? Hummm, very interesting. hahaha just being a wise guy. Kind of surprised nobody else chimmed in on that one. Spatchcock a turkey? Never thought of that, I'll be giving that a try soon. Things I do different: I don't use the oven anymore, use alot more tinfoil, and I'm just having more fun burnning meat.

sparky

i experiment almost every cook.

use to do ribs at 225º. now 250º - 275º.

use to flood the food with rub. now i use it lightly.

i have used alot of different wood types of pellets. only hickory now.

i use to sear my steaks at high heat. lol. now i but on @ 295º with a probe and have a adult beverage.

i use to cook butts, briskets at 225º and foil at 185º then let ride under 203º and rest for 2 hours. now, i see most of ya'll wrap whenever you want and then let ride. i really don't care what the butts or brisket look like. its solely about taste for me. but i think i will wrap sooner myself now.

also i liked the sliced butts. it was refreshing over the pulled pork. also last time i shredded the brisket and made tacos w/ the meat. i liked it that way better than sliced.

ppl, i am just a newbee myself. flying by the seat of my pants on most cooks. but, i am having fun. ;)

i do need to start cooking more chicken and fish. i like them very much. more veges too.

i turn my grill on every friday when i get home from work and turn it off sunday night. all the way thru never turning off. every weekend. plus i use it 2-3 times during the week. love #336.

i am still learning just like the rest of ya'll. some of you ppl are excellent cooks and i love learning from ya'll.

go NINERS

Last edited:

scooter

Used to cook low n slow. Now 250 is as low as I go with 275-350 being the normal cooking temp range
Used to experiment with different woods all the time. Now I use certain woods with certain meats
Used to wear gloves. Not anymore
Used to cook only with pellet cookers. Now it's 50/50 with WSM's and charcoal
Used to cook multiple times a day every weekend rain or shine. Now I....well, I guess I still do that....hehe

go RAIDERS

Last edited:

HogSmoker

I have yet to do anything differently because I don't have a pellet grill YET :( . However I do envy ya'll and really enjoy reading your post.. kind of like pre-school / pre-pellet grill school for me. When I do make the leap and I will be ahead of the flame with all the excellent info that I read and see on here.

Top Bottom