Does Weight Matter

INsmoker

I don't have an unlimited budget to buy a pellet smoker. I also live in Indianapolis, IN where the most available manufacturer is the Traeger. On paper I've got it down to the Yoder, and the Memphis based on pellet burning efficiency; but the MAX is also in play.
The Yoder weighs over 300 lbs. The Memphis is a tad over 200lbs. The MAX is a tad under 200 lbs. Is weight of the unit important or not? Is it other factors?
Thanks,
Newbie Mike

CarterQ

I would think the weight would not be a factor unless you were planning on moving it frequently. All of the cookers you are looking at are very well built. The biggest things would be capabilities and features for the money and how those matched up to what you plan to cook with it.

Last edited:

scooter

MAX or MAK?

Weight is not important to me if I'm getting lots of cubic inches of cooking space in the deal.

TentHunter

Are you concerned about weight because of:

1) shipping cost?

or...

2) How the weight relates to quality/longevity & how the smoker will hold heat?

INsmoker

MAK is what I meant to type. #2 to TentHunter's question. The MAK 2* seems to be the award winning pellet grill/smoker at the moment. I do like all the "user friendly" friendly features of the unit. It seems to burn more pellets/temperature based on data on another pellet website than the MP. If you add the remote controller, the price is close to the MP and the FE100.
Since none of these units is carried by any "local" shop, I'm going to have to go thru the information I get from the manufacurers' website with a fine tooth comb to narrow my selection.
Mike

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok if you are considering the remote boss as a factor to the cost equation understand that the fast eddy and the Memphis are incapable of remote monitoring and ifmthey were it would be a relative cost increase. The other pellet site did tests but they are far from scientific and Mak for one disputes the results.

Memphis

Hi Mike,
Our engineers have performed hours of temp testing and pellet consumption testing. (They like this sort of thing.) They also did a cost justificaton for the memphis pro just based on its reduced pellet consumption compared to some of the other pits. I can tell you that the sealed/double wall construction is a big factor- especially in colder/windy weather. To be honest though, we have not compared consumption to the other models you mention above. I can tell you that there are lots of very satisfied Memphis customers making excellent food on their grills.

cowgirl

I love the Memphis Pro. Used it this winter in 9 degree weather.... it worked like a charm! No problem at all getting the Pro up to the temp I wanted and it stayed steady throughout the whole smoke.
I was very impressed. :)

Top Bottom