Doing a little experimenting.

sparky

wanted to see if i could cook ribs and chicken at the same temp. 275º. awayyyy we go.
little louie's w/ pepper on one rack and 3eyz on the other one. soileau's on both of them.
P4210008.jpg

a little desert gold over, under, inside and outside.
P4210014.jpg

onto #336 at 275º.
P4210016.jpg

getting ready to wrap ribs. looking for 165º for the chicken.
P4210021.jpg

ribs unwrapped and getting ready to go back on the grill.
P4210023.jpg

looking good maynard.
P4210028.jpg

off at 3 hrs and 18 minutes.
P4210035.jpg

conclusion: not even close to getting the outcome i was looking for. the ribs were ok. maybe 10 to 15 minutes to much. the chicken was taken off at 165º. let rest for 15 minutes. cut a breast portion off and then sliced up. no bueno. it was way dry. threw the whole thing and a pot and added water to make soup. i like chicken soup.

Last edited:

sparky

i might try brining the chicken next time. i have never brined before but willing to give it a try.

Rip

That's strange Sparky. I usually cook chicken between 250-275, sometimes 300 if I'm in a hurry, always been real juicy. Maybe a bum bird?

ht01us

i might try brining the chicken next time. i have never brined before but willing to give it a try.

I'm a huge fan of brining chicken (and Boston Butts). I've found it to be a huge help in keeping chicken moist. I also like cooking thighs better than breasts. Chicken breasts need a lot of effort to avoid them drying during cooking; no matter the heat source.

Nice experiment though.

TentHunter

Hmmm... I'm with everyone else... bad bird.

One other thought... Pull it a little sooner (say at 160°), tent with foil and let it ride up to 165° (leave a probe in so you can be sure it reaches 165° minimum).

HoDeDo

Brine, Inject, or Marinade.... all should help your breasts out.

Also you might try putting it into pan, to catch the released liquids, and braise in them? I'm surprised you were dry at that temp.

I just did one in my chicken class last night @ 275 in the FEC...it turned out great! Oddly enough, my favorite thing to do with one of them is to make soup. The smoked bird imparts the best flavor into a chicken noodle soup.... so our class ate some for the first tasting.

Then we smoked thighs, grilled wings, and finished off the night with Chicken Spedini. All in 2.5 hrs. We were cooking fools. Give that bird a shot again at 275. IF you dont want to brine, you can always take clarified butter, chicken stock, and a TBSP of rub and inject it!! Or I have heard of this great marinade for chicken... hehe

ACW3

I love Sparky's experiments. Somewhere in there are ribs (at a minimum) and some FT. And everything looks soooo goooood!!!

Art

Rick4man

Got a Sous Vide Supreme for the wife to cook chicken breasts with. They come out super moist and taste great. I take the hind quarters and do them AFTER brining on the grill.

There are several places on the 'smoke ring' with suggestions for brines. I like herbs and molasses in mine. Haven't used it for my butts but I do like to inject marinade into them.

Try brining and I don't think you ever do chicken with out it.

Top Bottom