MAK Faith? The Overnight Cook

Star1021Scott

Hi everyone. So couple of questions...

1. How long did it take you to have "faith" or "trust" in your MAK to attempt an overnight unattended cook?

I'm a month in, and I feel very confident given the features of the pellet boss that I am ready to give it a shot. Only concern is, I'm cooking a 7lb shoulder and a 5lb brisket flat.

2. My plan is turn on the MAK at about 9:30p, and probe both the flat and the shoulder. All my pellet boss settings are going to based on the probe in the brisket. Current thoughts are smoke setting until about 115 internally, then setting the pellet boss to crank up to 225 there after. I typically am up around 6a - 7a, so we're looking at about 9 1/2 to 10 hours unassisted.

If im at temp for the brisket when I wake up, i'm just going to FTC, otherwise let it ride until I can probe test it.

Any issue seen with basing the pellet boss off the temp of the brisket?

Thoughts?

squirtthecat

Other than a bit of chicken to get a feel for the pellet boss, my first big cook on my MAK was an all-nighter. 3 big pork butts.

It won't do ya wrong. The 1 Star puts out a lot of smoke, so you might try doing a timed smoke of say 2 hours, then 200* and then 225.

Star1021Scott

Good points all.

Hopper is full, I think I am going to go the timed route, vs the probe method.

I'm going to go with 3 hours @ smoke (mainly because in the past I haven't had good smoke penetration, but that was my fault)

Then I'll head up to 200 for another hour, followed by the remainder of the cook at 220.

Wish me luck!

Star1021Scott

Thanks, just put the meat on about 5 minutes ago, pushing 10p here in Nashville. Pellet Boss is set, 1 probe in the shoulder which is plugged into the boss, one prob in the brisket, with the Redi-Check to act as my alarm clock just in case.

Sleep well all! Will report in the AM.

Star1021Scott

Some may say the best part of waking up, is foldgers in your cup. While i love coffee, I love waking up to hickory smoke in my backyard while drinking coffee!

So, here is how the night unfolded, I went to bed around 10:30p, before I did I checked the weather forecast, partly cloudy, nice!

Awoke to bright flashes of light around 1:30a, then heard an impending downpour...what the hell?

I have a covered patio, but parts of the MAK were exposed, probably no big deal but I don't like water and electricity so I moved it.

As for the MAK, it did exactly what i told it to.

Right now my Brisket is sitting at 181 degrees, while the butt is lagging behind, not sure how long its been in the stall, but its sitting around 156. May move the probe to ensure i'm not in a fat pocket.

Did I mention I love the smell of smoke in the morning?

Big Poppa

Administrator
If your color is right you may want to foil your butt now....it will help it catch up to your brisket and make for some tender pork butt

Star1021Scott

Actually I just foiled about 15 minutes ago! Brisket dropped a few degrees, however I'm about 7 degrees from pulling it off to FTC.

Star1021Scott

Here is where we were prior to foiling the butt.

5649329995_b77bf9ff9c_b.jpg

Butt may be a bit darker than I prefer, but it will be delicious.

jimsbarbecue

We woke to the smell of cherry smoke because of a brisket on the MAK. It is nice with a cup of coffee with a little honey in it.

Top Bottom