My very first smoke....

Sirius76

Ok, so we had brought the Lil Tex home from Rips house just a few days before and we felt it was time to have our inaugural smoke. After having Rips baby back ribs we knew that would be perfect for the very first smoke.

So here we go.....

I started with 3 slabs of baby back and one slab of St Louis. All were rubbed down with a bit of the Peppermill Steakhouse seasoned salt (from Valentine NE) as well as some EVOO and Billy Bones BBQ Rub.

IMG_9200Small.jpg

Onto Lil Tex at 225 for 2 hrs using hickory pellets

IMG_9201Small.jpg

Weather wasn't the best but we managed.....

IMG_9203Small.jpg

...with the proper libations!

IMG_9202Small.jpg

Now I must admit. I did not get too many action shots. But the rest of the cook went with what seems to be the norm around here...

2 hrs on rack than an hour in foil with brown sugar, honey and butter. After that hour or so I placed them back onto the rack and cooked another hour or so using 4 different BBQ sauces. Cookies, Sticky Stuff, Sweet Baby Rays and a local sauce from a local BBQ Joint.

Here are the results...

IMG_9204Small.jpg

And...
IMG_9205Small.jpg

And...

IMG_9206Small.jpg

Finally the aftermath!! No, it wasn't just the two of us. We had friends over.

IMG_9207Small.jpg

Desert was a blueberry, raspberry and boysenberry cobbler baked on the Lil Tex in a cast iron dutch oven served with vanilla ice cream. Sorry folks. Forgot the pics! I was too enamored with the ribs I just made!!

Some thoughts...

The first smoke was an extreme success. Everyone loved them! If we had to complain it would be the salt. I did go a bit over the top with the rub but it was still acceptable. Next time I'll use a bit less rub.

Also. The "Rib Juice" that you get at the bottom of the foil. WOW! We dipped that with a homemade Corn Loaf my wife made. Man was that good!! ;)

Anyway, here you go. A first smoke by a new pellet smoker. I think we're hooked! No. I know we're hooked!!

I'd like to thank Rip as well as everyone here and their posts. I did alot of reading and continue to do so! I'm sure I'll learn an infinite amount of knowledge from you all!

Thanks!

sparky

dude, i've cook ribs once or twice. yours look fantastic. i like how you got the bones showing threw the ends. well done dragan. get yourself some 3eyz and show your ribs some love. :cool:

CarterQ

Very nice job, the only way that I knew it was your first cook is because you told me! Look forward to seeing more of your pellet cooking adventures.

ht01us

Very nice. What differences did you notice between the St Louis and Baby Backs? For instance, did the St Louis need more time?

Top Bottom