Keepin the cover on

383inTheD

It's been a long winter here in Michigan and she doesn't want to let go. It's been quite windy here this spring and when I set up the new MAK with that fine fitting cover I thought "man they did a great job fitting that cover". However, I've found that the winds have been able to lift the cover off of the MAK on a few occasions and I'm retrieving it from the garden.

Has anyone else faced such problems and come up with clever work-arounds?

Chili Head

I noticed the same thing last week. Here's what I did to keep the cover on.
46e1abae-3e8c-4bca.jpg

46e1abae-3eaa-1b8d.jpg

I have a clamp on each side. So far it's stayed on through two storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Head

I would use Velcro on a strap.
Sew a 2" wide by 12" long piece of Velcro onto the cover about 10 inches below the side shelves on each end. Sew the other side (male) of the velcro to the strap which is the same size 2" x 12" as the Velcro. Sew the end of the strap to the front a couple inches from the front corner so all you have to do is suck the cover in with the strap. You could have it as tight as you want.

Chili Head

A better idea..

Sew two straps to each side. One from the back and one from the front with the Velcro on the inner side of one and the outer side on the other. That would allow more contact with the Velcro I think.

Rip

I like the velcro idea. I thought about adding grommets to my cover, but shared Mak Daddys concern about cords, etc. The clamp idea works, but is not asthetic. Black velcro would be unobtrusive and used as tight as needed or not at all. Right now I just put a smooth brick on each shelf when the winds are strong out of the east (talk about not asthetic!). Fortunately for me, east winds are infrequent in our area.

CarterQ

A Velcro band on the bottom would be perfect, mine has never flown off but it has acted as a sail and moved the grill across the patio. My webber gasser cover used to have a Velcro strap on each side that would allow you to tighten the cover by cinching below the shelves.

Star1021Scott

Mine has flown off at least 3 times in the past month. I am looking for something to prohibit that from happening.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Star1021Scott

BP must not be familiar with a atmospheric phenomenon called "rain." Perks of living in cali?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MAK DADDY

What about snaps on the bottom of the legs, to much of a pain? Wonder if they would tear at the material.
I guess a draw string would do the same thing.
Velcro sounds easy enough, I will look into it :)

KyNola

Bricks sitting on the cover on the hopper side and the cold smoker side solved the cover launch issue for me.

jimsbarbecue

When the desert winds get high here I use a clamp like Chili Head. I just clamp the cover to the front leg it is fast and easy.

Deimatt

Great thread! I am having the launch issue. Then patio furniture laying on it works but a certain "lady" isn't liking it. Lol Lowe's here I come for some clamps!

NorthernSmoke

My gasser is a Napoleon and its cover uses a velcro pair to pull in the loose cover parts at either end. This pulls the cover tight underneath the left and right shelves and prevents the cover from being lifted off the grill.

If you want to avoid velcro, then maybe a couple of 'D-rings' at each end and then we can use whatever to bring them together, e.g. carabiner, bungy-cord, plastic hooks ....

Deimatt

Just an update..My two clamps have been holding fine. Have had some big time tests too as we have had some severe weather since I started using them.

Thanks for that idea!

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

My gasser is a Napoleon and its cover uses a velcro pair to pull in the loose cover parts at either end. This pulls the cover tight underneath the left and right shelves and prevents the cover from being lifted off the grill.

If you want to avoid velcro, then maybe a couple of 'D-rings' at each end and then we can use whatever to bring them together, e.g. carabiner, bungy-cord, plastic hooks ....

We could just add grommets on each end, would double as a way to hang the cover too :)

Top Bottom