BGEgger Considering Coming Over To The Pellet Side

INsmoker

Just wondering what to expect. My biggest problem is that none of the USA made pellet grills/smokers are represented in my local area. The Memphis products are carried at a store 60 miles from me. No MAKs or FECPGs. Hard to spend that kinda money "blindly".
Mike

Hobbit

I know what you mean...I am waiting for my MAK to arrive. I could find no local businesses that carry it. So I did a lot of research (how I found this site) before I made my purchase. I now know enough that I feel really confident that I made a great choice even thought I haven't seen one work. So I placed my order "blindly". I have seen one since and know I made the correct choice for what I want to do. Good luck with your research. Hobbit

steeevj

Big Poppa came to the office last year and put on an overnight smoke-fest -- morning never smelled so good! I was a gas-grill guy at the time, but I checked out BP's site and was intrigued by the MAK. I checked out the barbecue store across the street; the only pellet smokers they carry are the Traegers. I ordered a MAK Two-Star blindly, and couldn't be happier.

ACW3

I did a lot of research online, sent PM's to several people with more questions, including BP and the folks at MAK. I figured that I wanted to do this once and that I should go for the best. I ordered the MAK 2 Star from BP (with a few goodies to get started) and have been thoroughly pleased. When I am home (we seem to travel more each year now that we are retired) I cook on my MAK more than I ever did with my old Weber Kettle, which is saying something since I used the Weber a lot. Now it collects dust under my deck. If you can "visit" a MAK, or any other pellet grill, it would be worth the trip. You will learn more in person from a "user" than you can imagine. Best of luck in your search.

Art

Chili Head

Howdy INsmoker

I ordered my MAK 2 blindly as well after talking to people here, watching you tube and reading everything I could on pellet smokers. I'm very pleased with my purchase and so are my friends! They eat good! I've only had mine a little over a week now but I can't see myself having any other pellet smoker than a MAK. You won't be disappointed if you do your homework and ask questions.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INsmoker

Because of many factors(money & wife), I don't have an unlimited budget to get a second smoker. My #1 choice is the MAK 1 Star General. My #2 is the Yoder. Since this is MAK country, I'd like to hear what the MAK collective thinks the absolute necessary accessories are for this unit are in addition to a cover.
Thanks,
Mike

TentHunter

I've been a member on this forum pretty much since it started and have been watching. I am still amazed at how quickly the MAK owners are right there to speak up about the love of their grills. That speaks volumes to me about what a great product the MAK's are.

I see very few problems/issues being posted about MAK's and Bob (MakDaddy) always seems to be right there with any help and/or answers to questions/issues. That speaks volumes to me about their durability and customer support.

Just my 2¢ worth, but I hope it helps!

jimsbarbecue

I have a 2 star and I think every accessory for it. I would recommend the must have is MAK half upper grill grate. The good thing about owning a MAK is MAK Daddy keeps MAKing new goodies for them.

HoDeDo

I've cooked on ALOT of pellet grills. I can tell you the build tolerances on the MAK are impressive, as is the technology. The Remote Pellet Boss, is not like anything anyone else is doing. The capabilities of the Pellet Boss controller are right on par with the commercial products from Cookshack that go into restaurants! User definable programs, multi temp cook profiles, etc. Fan and fuel management. The controller is on par with an IQ4. And the IQ4 is head and shoulders above anything on other cookers. If you search I provided a pretty detailed review on my cook in AZ with BPS last year. I was thoroughly impressed. And if you post or email a question Bob answers it - himself! (MAKDaddy)

Rip

I'll echo what HoDeDo and others have said about build quality of the MAK products. I've put a lot of different hardware together over the years and have never seen the quality fit and finish I found while assembling my MAK2. The product design is very well thought out as well.

Must have accessories to get started? Upper half grill grate, frogmats, cover, second probe, an ET-732 is pretty nice to have as well...after that, it depends a lot on how/what you like to cook. I have Grill Grates, but have been please with how well the searing zone works with just the regular grate. Eventually I suspect I will have to have the griddle and probably the full upper grill grate. Oh yeah, and the Remote Boss!

Memphis

Hi Mike, this is a great place to get information on smokers and Big Poppa will take good care of you. Before you rule out Memphis, take a good look at the Select and Advantage. Each product you are considering has unique attributes. I am fortunate to be able to cook on all of the Memphis Products and have the Select on my deck now. It is a great cooker and very versatile. Smoked ham today and it was tasty! You can add the small grate kit to expand the cooking surface and side shelves give you extra room to put plates, supplies.

malawoo

I have the Mak 2 star general also and it is a wonderful well built grill I have all the acccessories except the remote boss but hope to get pretty soon. Like everyone says it is a well built thought out made grill. I love mine and I looked at every pellet grill out there and I thought the Mak was the best out there.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I started selling pellet grills because of how good they were and the ability to teach people who thought they couldnt cook that they could cook....and really well. (not to mention how much people who knew how to cook could get out of these things....I had no intention of having a forum, store , team....I also know that these forums find there identity....I would hope that it is more than the MAK forum....THere are many decent grills out there. The reason why it is the MAK forum is that the customers are very happy with what they are buying. I believe where MAK's and Memphis' arent cheap that they both deliver a perceived value and in this day and age where you usually are disappointed with the quality and relative value you get that says a lot. I have yet to have a person buy a MAK and say that they felt like they didnt get their moneys worth. Same with Memphis.

Also what Memphis said the advantage and select are very fine cookers in their own right.

CarterQ

Great info from everyone. You would be very satisfied with a grill form Memphis or a MAK lines. As for buying site unseen, it is a leap of faith but as you can see there are very satisfied users of both grills on here and if you buy it from the right place they will take the time to make sure you are comfortable with your decision before and after the sale.

SmokeAndSpice

If it helps any, I'm in the same boat. My ceramic cooker (BGE competitor) isn't holding up well with age, and though I love cooking with it I would like more cooking space and a little less hands-on fiddling, especially for long (and overnight) cooks. I looked at Traeger options (I have a local dealer) but they don't seem sturdy/insulated enough for my taste. I'm all but sold on the Memphis Advantage, but am still pondering choices, and of course would feel better if I could see one in person.

txpgapro

I went from competition log burner to the stainless steel Memphis Pro. Blind as a hog but Jessie and Poppa got all my questions answered. I went with the Memphis for the insulation and hotter temps. I love it as much as others love their MAKs. Either way you will be happy and satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom