Smoking Newbie

Grillin Fool

Hi guys,
Let me start by saying this is a really awesome site! Although I have been Queing most of my adult life, I just bought my first Smoker/Grill. I have so many questions( probably some stupid ones ) but I will try to keep it short. Please remember, this is all new to me.

I am assuming that pellets are small flavored wood chips as opposed to say, logs?

Does one sart a charcoal fire to heat a cook the meat and then add thhe chips later on for flavor?

In our freezer, I have a tri tip roast and some baby backs. Which would you suggest I try my smoking talents ( or lack of ) on first and of course any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I noticed from other posts how nice everyone seems. And I hope by following your suggestions I will soon be posting in the Gallery section soon!!

Grillin Fool

Sorry, that would help ya think.....I Have a Charbroil, barrel type grill with a optional smoker that bolts onto the side. Not the best, I know.....but seems it will be ok for now....

TentHunter

I have one of those too (Brinkman). With a few simple modifications you can turn it into a fairly decent smoker. I will try to get some pics of the mods I did to mine.

One thing to keep in mind with that type of smoker is that foil pouches with pellets will help you achieve that coveted light blue smoke that flavors but doesn't overwhelm your food.

BTW: in answer to your question - Pellets are sawdust compressed into small pellets that burn very efficiently and because all the air has been compressed out of the fibers, they produce a very intense and pure smoke for their size. It takes a lot less pellets to achieve a great smoke flavor in a charcoal grill/smoker than either wood chunks or chips.

A pellet grill uses wood pellets as its fuel source instead of wood, charcoal or gas.

Last edited:

Grillin Fool

How embarrassing! I just noticed I posted this in the " Gallery" section......In my excitment and haste I guessI was'nt paying attention.
Thanks for not " flaming " me...( no pun intended ). Thanks for the welcomes and the info too, Tenthunter especially. Now that I am a little more educated in pellets, and after taking a quick tour of Big Poppas website, I"m not sure if I'm at the right place. Pellets, grills that sell for more then my car, the " blue flame".....I feel like I've stumbled across some secret society....Hmmmm...I was of the thought indirect cooking method using charcoal, smoke added midway through then slab on the sauce with 10 mins.left.

After checking out Papa's Grills, I feel like a cub scout trying to enlist in the Marine Corps. Tell me, oh wise ones, am I at the wrong site? With my measly Charbroil w/ smoker attachment ( approx. $150.00 ). Should I be looking somewhere else? Oh and I promise.....Your secret is safe with me..... I swear.....

ACW3

Welcome from North Carolina. Be sure to post your results. We love to see what everyone is cooking these days.

Art

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking! While this is more a forum for folks with pellet cookers you will learn from this site and its contributors. You won't find much help in operating your offset here as much as you would if you owned a pellet cooker but you're still welcome to hang around and learn what you can. Feel free to make good use of the search feature of this site.

HogSmoker

No No no this is the place to be Grillin Fool! I'm new here too and don't have a pellet grill either. These folks will bend over backwards to answer any question you have about grilling pellet or not.

Top Bottom