Ribs that are not too sweet...?

Patrick_CT

My wife was saying that she loves ribs that have a bbq glaze but that are not sweet. I see a lot of posts that use brown sugar in foil with apple juice etc, but I think that will not be a success with my family.. Any tips on a good method to make ribs on a MAK that fit this order?
I also see talk about to foil or not, I would prefer not too but if it makes a big difference then I will give it a try.
There also seems to be a "debate" about the temp to use... 250 the who;e way or smoke for a while then increase, or 225 the whole way...

I know a lot is taste dependent but it would be great if you can get me started in the right direction.

Thanks for any input!

TentHunter

Yeah not everyone likes sweet ribs. Lots of folks here can give you great ideas.

Here's just one:

First, I usually foil for about 1 1/2 hours or so until the meat is as tender as I want.

Then, when I foil I like to use a braising liquid made of equal amounts of brown sugar, cider vinegar & beer (1/4 cup each per rack of ribs). That combo is a nice sweet/tart that is then balanced by the bite of the hops in the beer which keeps it from being too sweet in the overall profile.

After that put them back on the grill to sauce or glaze with whatever you like, (or Memphis style dry-rub only) creating the flavor profile you like.

Rip

Ah, you've found the best part Patrick! Experimentation. Cut your racks in half and try something different on each one. Find out which ones everybody likes. I like to do a third of my ribs a different way each time, the other 2/3 are a tried and true ways.

If you don't already know, find out how to tell if they are done without being overcooked and then see how foiling and different temps affect the results.

I've done foiling with and without sugars in the foil and and I can't say as I'd characterize the ones done with brown sugar and honey as being sweet. (must be all that hot stuff in the rubs :) )

As far as temps and foiling, there all good, it's really about how you like them done and how you feel like doing them for that cook. I'm happy at 225 and foiling, I get consistent results which let's me focus on how the rub/glaze/finish etc is changing the results.

What else....Oh yeah, have fun and share your results!

Last edited:

SmokeAndSpice

For a BBQ glaze that's not too sweet, just look around for a recipe that doesn't contain much sugar and make your own. I vastly prefer dry ribs so don't glaze mine, but when I serve commercial sauce on the side I prefer Super Smoker's Tennessee Original-- they describe it as "thin and tangy" and it is!

scooter

If you're not into making your own glaze just look at the nutrition labels for the sauces that contain less than 10gm of sugars per serving. The lower the value, the less sweet the sauce will be. The sauces that I would catagorize as sweet sauces have sugar values (per serving) in the mid to high teens.
It could be that your wife's aversion to sweet rib glazes is because she hasn't had any really good sweet glazes yet! There are some very fine glazes to be had and even better glazes appear when you mix 2 or more together or layer them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom