Hot & Fresh Smoked Sausage

TentHunter

I had a hankering for some homemade smoked sausage so I stopped by the butcher Saturday and had them grind me up 10 lbs of fresh pork. I mixed up 7 lbs of Kielbasa & 3 lbs of Spicy Cajun Andouille.

I stuffed it all in hog casings and put it on the smoker to cold smoke for about an hour.
K%26A01.JPG

I used 5 pieces of charcoal and a foil pouch of hickory pellets to produce the smoke.
K%26A02.JPG

Using this method with the pellet pouches makes it easy to maintain a nice light smoke and a pit temp below 100°. After an hour I raised the pit temp to 190°. When the sausages reached an internal temp of 150° I pulled what were weren't eating right away and dunked them in cold water to stop the cooking. This also helps prevent the casings from shriveling. They finished cooling on some wire racks.
K%26A04.JPG

The sausages we were eating stayed on until they reached an I.T. of 165°.
K%26A05.JPG

Served up with some fried potatoes.
K%26A06s.jpg

The rest was cooled in the fridge overnight then vac-packed & frozen for later use in meals.
K%26A07.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

ACW3

Cliff,
That sausage looks really good. I won't be making any for a while since I will be travelling. I am, however, stopping by to visit with NEPAS this coming Saturday. I can't wait to see ALL his smoking equipment. Should be a good time.

Art

P.S. I am taking him some elk meat to see what kind of sausage he can create.

nepas

Oh yeah maynard....LOL

Looks good Cliff.

Art (ACW3) and his wife will be here this weekend and we going to go get some eats and do some chit chat.

TentHunter

Art,

While you're in PA you'll be with a true master sausage maker. Climb into his smokehouse and soak up all the smoke & info you can!

ACW3

Cliff,
You are reading my mind. I hope to take a few pictures and soak up as much as he will share.

Art

SmokeAndSpice

You asked your butcher to grind it all? <slaps forehead>... why didn't I think of that?! I have a standard #10 manual grinder and don't have the patience to make more than 4-5 pounds of sausage at a time. Having the butcher do the grinding would certainly help.

Looks great, BTW.

Top Bottom