Shrimp Burgers with Avacado Aioli, Sweet Corn & Key Lime Pie

Rip

I came home last Tuesday and MrsRip says, "You have got to see this cooking show, I DVR'ed it!"...So I sit down and watch this woman make Shrimp burgers with sweet corn. Wow did they look good! We both decide that's what we want for dinner this Sunday! We need a dessert...how about homemade Key Lime pie? So, MrsRip gets on the internet and rustles up some recipe ideas...all week long we've been looking forward to making this cook and it did not disappoint!

First up, the Key Lime pie. Mixed butter, sugar, and graham cracker crumbs and placed in a pie plate, on to the MAK2 at 375 for about 25 minutes to brown. Remove and let cool a bit and then add the filling (juice from 1 and 3/4 bags of key limes, condensed milk, and eggs).
IMG_2212sm.jpg

Back on the MAK2 at 325 for about 20 minutes, then chill at least 2 hours in the fridge.
IMG_2216sm.jpg

Once the pie is off the grill, I blistered the peppers for the Avacado Aioli and the Jalapeno Butter.
IMG_2215sm.jpg

Here's the ingredients for the Shrimp burgers, Avacado Aioli, and Jalapeno Butter:
IMG_2221sm.jpg

First up, the Jalapeno Butter for the sweet corn. The previously grilled jalapenos were skinned, the seeds removed and then chopped. They were then hand mixed with softened butter, chopped parsley, chopped garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_2219sm.jpg

Next up, the Avacado Aioli sauce...In a food processor, mix the avacado pulp, mayonnaise, lime juice (hey, got plenty of key limes left!), garlic, serrano chiles (stemmed, halved, seeded), cilantro, sea salt & pepper. Blend until creamy.

Finally, the shrimp burgers! In to the food processor: fresh deveined/peeled shrimp, bread crumbs, garlic, roasted/skinned/seeded poblanos, sea salt, pepper, and a little vegetable oil. Patty out and on to the MAK2 over the searing zone at 400. Also added was the corn. When the burgers were done, the corn was rotated to the searing zone, and eventually the buns were toasted there too. The plan was to get things ready and then cook around 6pm. I finished up the Avacado aioli and took a spoonful to MrsRip, (I had just sampled it myself), I go back out to the kitchen and start pattying out the shrimp burgers and she says, "Lets cook now!" It was 3pm, no argument from me!
IMG_2222sm.jpg

The burgers came out great! They smelled wonderful, it was very hard not to eat them while the sweet corn finished!
IMG_2226sm.jpg

Here's my plate:
IMG_2228sm.jpg

And MrsRip's plate:
IMG_2231sm.jpg

There's an amazing medley of flavors going on between the shrimp burgers and the avacado sauce! The jalapeno butter made the out of season sweet corn much better than it was, can't wait to try it on fresh sweet corn this summer! I know I'm a tad biased, but this was an awesome tasting dinner!!

But wait, there's more!
IMG_2224sm.jpg

We were thrilled with how well this turned out! The filling was light, creamy, and very tart! The crust had a slight smokey taste (thanks to being browned before the filling was added.) We both thought it was the best key lime pie we'd ever had. Oh yeah, we decided to use whip cream instead of the sour cream/powdered sugar topping the pie recipe called for (in case you were wondering why they were in the ingredients photo).

ACW3

Rip,
WOW!!! I can't tell you the last time I had a shrimp burger, although it may have been in FL about two years ago. I just don't think about shrimp burgers that much, and my wife and I both love shrimp. This is definitely going on my summer cooking bucket list. I love key lime pie, also. What a great combination. I can see why you didn't wait any longer. That would have been cruel and unusual punishment to have to wait.

Art

TentHunter

Rip, my BBQ brother...

My list just grew by three more items: Shrimp Burgers, Avocado Aioli, and Jalapeno Butter (it would have been four, but I already love Key Lime Pie).

Thanks for sharing yet another great cook!

CarterQ

Great cook Rip, shrimp burgers are definitely on the must try list now. Love the story of shooting for a 6pm start and ending up with things on the grill at 3!

cowgirl

Mmmmmmm..... Way to go Mr and Mrs Rip!! What an outstanding meal! Thanks for the shrimp burger idea, I'm always looking for new shrimp recipes. :)

Top Bottom