MAK Griddle Fried Potato Crusted Halibut

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I was talking about how simple I had become as a cook...Decided to pull out some old tricks and show you how cool for those of you who dont know the MAK Griddle is.

Heat the MAK to 400

Prepare clarafied butter. Clarifying butter is melting it at a simmer and skimming off the foam and the mild solids. Normal butter smokes at 350 deegrees Clarified butter doesnt smoke until 450...It lasts a long time in the fridge too

Take a coupla potatoes and peel them and boil until the are about 75%b done then cool rapidly. When cool slice thinly. Take one teasppoon of cornstarch and whisk into the clarified butter. Take your Halibut or sole or whatever white fist and coat lightly with Annies Garlic Olive oil and then season I used Big Poppa's Desert Gold this time. The key here is that you can change the whole flavor profile by the seasonings you choose
P1000803-1.jpg

Take the potato slices and dip into the butter and cornstarch mixture and layer like scales on top of the fish
P1000804.jpg

Place potato side down for 3 minutes on the griddle and then flip and cook for another 4 minutes on the frogmats
P1000806.jpg

P1000807.jpg

Here it is plated with some three cheese Risotto and a Sunflower Feta Salad.
P1000811.jpg

sparky

oh my god. that is so cool. i would have never thought of that. it looks so light with the fish. it's cool how the potatoes look like fish scales. really nice BP. i love the color of the potatoes. perfect. the risotto is nice. a really good healthy meal. one of your best to date partner. ;)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Thanks Spark...I had to show you guys that I could still light a fire....the cooking here has been just crazy good

Rip

Wow does that look great! So, how hard is it to keep the potato slices on while placing on the griddle, potato side down? Do you have a trick or do they stick well to the fish?

CarterQ

Awesome BP, I don't think there was ever any doubt that you could still light a fire! You have definitely handed out more than your fair share of ideas and inspiration.

jimbo

OK, how could halibut get any better? Those potatoes look phenomenal!!! Love the golden crispy color.

steeevj

Clarified butter (also available as "ghee" in the Indian section of your local grocer) is also great for making popcorn. Just use it instead of oil.

Hmm... popcorn made on the MAK griddle? Probably a really bad idea.

cowgirl

Looks fantastic BP! I've used shredded potatoes on fish but your sliced look a lot easier to deal with. Thanks for the cornstarch tip too!! You're my hero!! :)

tbone

My Oh My! Pulled a hunk of halibut out of the freezer and tried this recipe. Some of the best halibut we've ever had. I lost a few of the potatoes when I flipped it (due to operator error), but the flavor and textures were amazing.

Thanks BP. We're digging all your recipes.

t (and she) bone

Top Bottom