Tri-Tip and "The Nectar of the gods ... "

smoker pete

Years ago a good friend's Dad always referred to Hamm's Beer as "The Nectar of the gods ... ". I only mention this cause I have it from good authority that using Hamm's Beer as the glue and some Seasoning is a killer combination. Other beers have been tested but they don't work out as well. My first task was finding some of this 'nectar' locally. Not an easy task.

Rubbed a Tri-Tip with Hamm's and Fagundes Seasoning. Vacuumed sealed and fridged it overnight.

HammsTriTip1.jpg

Setpoint to SMOKE for an hour using Pure 100 Oak pellets. Then bumped the temp to 225º till the IT hit 140º. Took about 2½ hours total.

HammsTriTip3.jpg

While the Tri-Tip was wrapped in foil to rest for 20 minutes I made a batch of Faux Rice. Here's the consistency you should get your cauliflower to before popping it in the microwave for about 10 minutes.

HammsTriTip2.jpg

After resting for 20 minutes.

HammsTriTip4.jpg

The money $shot ... Tri-Tip with some Faux Rice and beef gravy served with a side of salad ... The beer rub brought out a new dimension of flavors to the meat. Not a chemist or connoisseur of the interactions of meats, seasonings, and marinades but this is a welcomed addition to my repertoire of ways to enjoy a delicious Tri-Tip ... Hic! :D :D

HammsTriTip5.jpg

CarterQ

From the land of sky blue waters.........

Great looking meal Pete, I remember when i was a kid there were a few guys who swore by Hamms for their "Beer B Q" recipes.

SmokeAndSpice

The Hamm's brand/label was bought by Miller about 10 years ago. If you have a hankerin' check here:

Hamms Finder

I would guess it's more popular near places that originally had Hamm's breweries-- MN, WI, etc.

TentHunter

Pete, your onto something here! :)

I've done this marinating method before (not with Hamm's though - never even seen it). And I have to say, it makes an excellent tasting and tender steak indeed! I do think it needs to be a good quality beer that you like or it won't be as good.

I think I may have found a local butcher that will cut tri-tips. Going to check it out this afternoon... Wish me luck!

Uinta smoking

I use beer often when cooking in a dutch oven. Never thought of using beer in the marinade for my new love which is smoked food. I'll have to give it a try.

Top Bottom