Mesquite Pellets

Sirius76

Hey all,

I just placed an order with BP for some mesquite pellets.What are peoples opinions on mesquite? Whats the best meat to be used with mesquite?

I'm planning on doing some ribs when the mesquite arrives. I thought mesquite ribs would be good but now, not knowing any better, I'm starting to wonder. I probably should have consulted the group first!!

Thanks!

SmokeAndSpice

I've not yet used pellets, but I like mesquite a lot. I tend to use it for certain sausages and for large chunks of meat (brisket, butts) mixed about half and half with hickory. I save the more subtle woods for chicken, fish, etc.

Which leads me to a question... my experience is that mesquite chunks can burn hot and fast in other types of smokers and grills. Does that carry over to temperature-controlled pellet cookers, or does the built-in control even that out?

CarterQ

I'll use mesquite on beef, chicken, and burgers. One of the great things about cooking with pellets is playing with the different flavors, blending flavors, and trying it all out on different cooks. It all boils down to what you like. I wouldn't worry, if you like mesquite you will like it in pellet form.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I use everything but mesquite. Just not my thing but it is a big seller. I use OAK and apple the most

Chris231

I use mostly Apple, I like it on everything. I'm currently on a mix of Black Walnut and Apple on my Memphis. That is what I like about the Memphis, you can fill one hopper with one flavor of pellet and the other hopper with the other flavor.

steeevj

I've only used mesquite for beef -- try it on a brisket or tri-tip, if you can find it. I doubt it would ruin the ribs though. You might discover something new! Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

TentHunter

Mesquite is a very strong spicy smoke flavor so it works for beef.

For pork & chicken give this a try: a little mesquite mixed with mainly apple is a really nice flavor combo. It spices the apple up a notch.

Top Bottom