Moose?

Patrick_CT

Me neighbor came over and said that he has moose meat (roasts and ground meat) in his freezer....I have never ate it.. anyone have any idea on what to do with it?

He is willing to give a roast or any other of the meat... gets the wheels turning.

ITFD#15

Moose is great. If it is processed right it is better than beef, lots of great flavor, nice and tender, and maybe a bit leaner.
I have never done any on the smoker before but I would think if you follow most any beef recipe you will not go wrong.
Just dont over cook it or you will be disappointed.
I could think of a couple of things to do with a roast, maybe pulled or just a traditional roast or prime rib style?
If your concerned about any game taste marinate it in butter milk and that will reduce that.

BBQ Joe

Patrick, Moose is excellent! It usually does not have a gamey taste like venison. It is very lean. It reminded me of a holstein steer from my uncles dairy farm. Not kobe, but can be very good. Give it try and let us know how it works out.

Susan

I love moose! I've not had it in years but the last moose roast I did, I made as a pot roast in a Dutch oven on an wood cook stove. Beef stock, red wine, garlic, onions, carrots and served with mashed potatoes. It was delicious.

ACW3

Because moose is very lean like elk and venison, it needs to be cooked either hot and fast, or in some kind of sauce/gravy or in chili. I cook elk and venison tenderloin, usually wrapped in bacon, at a high temp and cook it to an IT of about 125.
slice thinly and serve. Cooked much longer than that it tends to get tough to chew. Another wonderful way to use moose/elk/venison is ground up and in sausage. Moose summer sausage would be great. NEPAS is the guru on sausage. Almost forgot, Tenthunter does some mean sausages, too. good luck, and keep us all posted.

Art

Top Bottom