Mother's day cook

Deb

I didn't do a great job of getting pictures of everything but here is what I did for my mom..... my parents live about 2 1/2 hrs away so I cooked Friday to bring with me for Saturday dinner.......

I have a local company that goes to all the local farms and picks up food and then delivers... it's great because they have meat, produce, veggies, cheese, etc. I got a delivery Thursday and most of last nights dinner was local ....

got a little tiny pork butt.... sprinkled on some yardbird & soileau's cajun rub - onto the Traeger - I guess we have tiny pigs here in CT, the butt was only 2.25lbs (raw)

bb4a4292.jpg

I didn't get any finished pics but when you have a butt that little the bark to meat ratio was great.

I had never cooked with charcoal before and after seeing what TH, Susan, Sparky and others do with their Weber Kettles I decided I needed one. So I bought one a few weeks ago... it's a different experience - I think I finally am starting to get it (with a foil pouch of pellets of course)........

decided to do some grilled potato salad - fingerling potatoes cut in 1/2 lengthwise, ramps and some red pepper (all tossed in a little olive oil and BP desert gold seasoning)

590d5631.jpg

spatchcocked an almost 6 lb chicken (it spent a few hours in SOW BBQ Marinade)

the potato salad ingredients and the chicken on the weber
cbef4442.jpg

f0e4ed45.jpg

c5c0f88e.jpg

brought the veggies in, cut the potatoes in 1/2 again, diced the red pepper, chopped up the ramps (I ended up not using the green parts in the salad) and tossed it all with some sweet cider vinegar, olive oil and a little more desert gold while it was still warm.

dragged the chicken over the coals a little to brown it up
9d474d0a.jpg

sorry, that's where the pictures stop..... pulled the pork, pulled the chicken - each into foodsaver bags for easy heat up. was pressed for time so I bought some slider sized rolls, made some coleslaw, stopped at a bakery on the way and bought an assortment of cupcakes...... wasn't fancy but also wasn't what she eats every day..... she was very happy with the dinner especially the pulled pork....

found one more pic..... the potato salad - also added some crumbled feta
5b479f67.jpg

then today I cooked breakfast for her....... some of the bacon I made over the winter and waffles, served with syrup, blueberries & raspberries

sparky

looks real good deb. one more thing. happy mothers day to ya. you shouldn't be cooking for yourself today. tell your husband and son to take ya out. :) heh, where did you find those fingerling potatoes?

Deb

Spark - son's about 300 miles away at school so I had to settle for a phone call. We did go see him last weekend though so all good plus he'll be home in 2 weeks:)

the fingerlings are CT potatoes. they are good

P.S. I think he is going to work on his rib cooking skills this summer:cool:

sparky

send him over here. i will take a week off. we can sit by the pool smoking cigars and drink some FT's. we will go on a rib bender all week. ;)

Top Bottom