Hot Smoked Fresh Wild Pacific Rockfish

smoker pete

Early last week I cooked some Salmon on my MAK Grill at 400º and was asked if I got a smoky flavor to the fish or was it just cooked perfectly. My reply was that at that temperature I don't get much smoky flavor but a pellet grill just adds another dimension to the fish. Since we try to enjoy fish on a weekly basis I started looking into some Hot Smoked Fish recipes and took a little from here and there and this is my version of an excellent tasting Smoked White Fish done in 2 hours!!!

Found some Fresh Wild Pacific Rockfish Fillet from Canada at Costco to experiment with. Pre-heated to 225º using American Broadleaf 60/40 Alder. Rubbed both sides of the Rockfish with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and sprinkled some Fagundes Seasoning.

Rockfish1.jpg

Using one of my fancy schmancy fish mats (Frog Mat with a border on it) which really work great. Here's the Rockfish after an hour at 225º. My observations showed that I was getting copious amounts of smoke. I always like to burn Alder with my fish. Starting to look good.

Rockfish2.jpg

After an hour and 50 minutes, the Rockfish flaked easily with a fork and it was time to pull them. At this point I knew they were done and I could see that they looked wonderful but had no idea if they would actually have a smoked fish flavor to them.

Rockfish5.jpg

Ready to serve SWMBO and I a light dinner. Pick your poison.

Rockfish4.jpg

The money $shot ... A couple of Alder Hot Smoked Fresh Wild Pacific Rockfish Fillets and a salad ... The meal didn't need anything else (I need to start watching my girlish figure) ... Well maybe a nice glass of white wine or a pint of Amber would be nice! I was skeptical that I could achieve a nice smoky/smoked flavor is a 2 hours period but it was exceptionally good and had a great smoky flavor. For me, Alder is the only pellets/wood to use when cooking/smoking fish. I will definitely be doing this recipe again with other types of white fish and for sure will try it with some salmon. I will always be head over heels in love with Alder smoked salmon but that's for another day when I have time and the fish to properly marinade the salmon, and spend 8 to 12 hours smoking it at much lower temperatures ... Bon Appétit ...

Rockfish6.jpg

TentHunter

Beautiful color on that fish. Who needs fried fish when you can have something that looks and smells as good as I know that must have and then tastes even better?

Top Bottom