Easiest 5 bucks in BBQ Enter this contest....

Big Poppa

Administrator
Dragan gets the hot seat judging this week! Rookie! Great job last week

Five dollar credit to whomever enters.

First place $25 credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10 credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Lets blow the doors off this week....

Last edited by a moderator:

nepas

Pellet Smokehouse Bologna

Not a main meal but good for snacking :D

All stuffed and ready for the big pellet pooper house
DSC00794.jpg

Hanging and getting smoke.
DSC00798.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

$ Shots
DSC00830.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

TentHunter

Sweet & Spicy Mustard Chicken

with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus

This was a simple but very delicious way to cook the chicken.

Here goes...

Started by mixing some Yellow Mustard & Brown sugar together. Also made a spice rub mix of salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion & Chili powder.
MCHICK01.JPG

Slathered the chicken with the sweetened mustard...
MCHICK02.JPG

Sprinkled the spice mixture all over...
MCHICK03.JPG

Then onto the 325° grill with the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus. Cherry Pellets for smoke.
MCHICK04.JPG

The chicken was pulled at 165° & the asparagus was brushed with some melted butter & Italian Dressing then pulled off.

The chicken had a beautiful amber/brown color and smelled wonderfully of mustard, chili powder & sweet smoke.
MCHICK05.JPG

MCHICK06.JPG

Served with the asparagus and homemade chicken & herb flavored rice.
MCHICK07.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rip

Looks awesome Tent! Nowhere near a cooker for this contest...I'll be watching though, can't wait to see the entries!

Last edited:

smoker pete

Hickory Smoked Pork Backribs with Carolina Treet

For our Weekly Dinner/Pinochle Party I chose to Smoke some Pork Loin Backribs I picked up at Costco. I have used Carolina Treet (CT) Cooking Barbecue Sauce on Pork Butts, Turkeys, and Chicken but never on Ribs until last night. After seeing the great results SquirtTheCat had using CT on Ribs I decided to give it a try.

Slathered some CT on the Backribs and sprinkled some Fagundes Seasoning. Check out the fixins for a little tater salad in the background.

CTRibs1.jpg

Pre-heated to 250º using American Broadleaf Pure 100 Hickory. Setpoint to SMOKE, tossed the Ribs in and smoked for an hour.

CTRibs2.jpg

Meanwhile ... Diced the Red Potatoes I boiled yesterday and using my handy dandy manual salsa maker I chopped the following: Red Onions, Olives, Celery, Hard Boiled Eggs, and Claussen Kosher Dill Pickles. Tossed with some Seasoning and Mayo until it reached my desired consistency.

CTRibs3.jpg

Smoked for an hour before bumping the temperature to 250º for 4½ hours. Ready to pull 2 racks in order to mop them with some Original Bull's-Eye BBQ Sauce. The Ribs went back in at 250º for another 30 minutes. Total time: 6 hours.

CTRibs4.jpg

Ring-A-Ding-Ding ...Chow time. A touch of Merlot with dinner and some Carmel Cream Sherry and Chocolate for dessert ;)

CTRibs5.jpg

The money $shot ... Smoked Ribs, some tater salad, corn on the cob, and a few chunks of watermelon ... Bon Appétit

CTRibs6.jpg

TentHunter

Oh yeah, this contest is going to be a good one!

Pete, I love the picture of the tater salad ingredients in the bowl. Makes me wanna dive in and start mixing so I can eat it!

FLBentRider

Baby back ribs

Three racks of Baby back ribs from Sams club
basic "salt lick" rub - 3:3:1:1 salt : pepper : garlic : cayenne
Onto MAK #106 with perfect mix pellets
Ran on Smoke for 2 hours, then 200F until the power flickered, then 250F
DSC_0453Medium.jpg

Basted every now and then with rice wine vinegar
DSC_0454Medium.jpg

DSC_0456Medium.jpg

DSC_0455Medium.jpg

Ready to plate
DSC_0458Medium.jpg

This was a plain ol' rib craving satisified, no sides needed
DSC_0459Medium.jpg

Yeah, they were good - a little spice, some heat, smoke...

a Good ol' fashioned elbows-on-the-table rib feast!
DSC_0460Medium.jpg

sparky

Sparky's Saturday Dinner with the Family.

alittle of this and alittle of that. away we go....
P5140002.jpg

using some LL w/P
P5140005.jpg

some more experimenting
P5140015.jpg

the cool thing about the racks is that you can turn them around easily.
P5140016.jpg

top rack, bottom rack. the mak doesn't care. food looks good cooked anywhere.
P5140025.jpg

left rack using big moe's bbq sauce, middle rack dry (pouring the kids beer on it) & right rack big bob gibson habanero sauce.
P5140037.jpg

P5140032.jpg

done
P5140047.jpg

con't in a minute.....

sparky

Dinner con't

finishing dinner

P5140019.jpg

P5140029.jpg

P5140034.jpg

P5140040.jpg

P5140041.jpg

P5140042.jpg

guarding the pool
P5140045.jpg

dinner served. ribs, hamburger w/ pepper jack (lettuce wrapped), sweet potatoes fries, onions, tomatoes and pickles.
P5140054.jpg

it was a excellent dinner. :cool:

Last edited:

smoker pete

Marinaded Pollo Fresco

Picked up a few Pollo Fresco to test 'Smoke on Wheels BBQ Marinade' and my new Marinade Express. I could have said 'Chicken Thighs' but 'Pollo Fresco" just sounds so much more exotic!! Poured in the marinade, Chicken Thighs, connected vacuum hose and put the Pollo Fresco under vacuum.

MarinadedThighs3.jpg

Tumbled the chicken for 20 minutes. Don't tell anyone but I actually read the directions :rolleyes:

MarinadedThighs4.jpg

Removed marinaded Pollo Fresco and placed in fridge for a couple hours until I was ready to cook them. I could have just taken them straight to the grill. I'm very impressed with how easy this tool was to use.

MarinadedThighs5.jpg

Pre-heated the MAK to 320ºF with American Broadleaf 60/40 Apple pellets and slapped the Chicken Thighs on until the Internal Temperature reaches 180º.

MarinadedThighs6.jpg

Took an hour and 10 minutes at 320º to reach an IT of 180º. This pile of Pollo Fresco only cost $6.30. You just can't beat that these days!! We'll be able to graze for a few meals/snacks. Leftovers will for sure be used to make a little Chicken Salad for lunch tomorrow.

MarinadedThighs8.jpg

The money $shot ... Marinaded Pollo Fresco with a light salad ...

MarinadedThighs9.jpg

My wife really enjoyed the results I achieved with the 'Smoke on Wheels BBQ Marinade'. I have been anxious to test out this marinade after learning that some of it's Accolades include 10x Grand Champion and winner of over 100 awards in the Chicken category. Besides, what better way to break in my Marinade Express. The combination of these two products was amazing. The depth of marinade and the exquisite flavors down to the bone tantalized my taste buds. Can't wait to marinade something else!!

CarterQ

Chris Lily Loaf Pan Chicken

Been wanting to try this recipe from Chris Lily's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ BooK" and last night I had a chance to.

The main ingredients

ed28fd06.jpg

Slather the bird in a Applesauce and Worcestershire mix letting the extra mix fall into the pan

bcf93a29.jpg

Hit it inside and out with Rub (the book has a recipe, I went the lazy route and hit it with Yardbird)

22411a13.jpg

Onto the MAK running @300 on Apple pellets

32cf7b3c.jpg

Couple hours later, pulled at 165

48bd8c8f.jpg

Chopped it up

56dad5fc.jpg

Dinner is served with some corn, salad, and a cornbread muffin

b1536435.jpg

This came out good, I am glad I tried it. This chicken was one of the moistest I have ever had and the flavor was good too. Next time I will make gravy from the leftovers in the pan and serve with mashed taters. Overall very happy with the results, definitely a fun recipe to mix it up with.

Last edited:

Susan

Smoked Plum Tomato Sauce with Hot Turkey Italian Sausage

05-14-2011003.jpg

Here are the basic starting ingredients.
05-14-2011008.jpg

I brushed the halved tomatoes with olive oil and seasoned them with ground black pepper and Kosher salt.
05-14-2011010.jpg

On to the Weber with a packet of Hickory pellets. After about 30 minutes the skin of the tomatoes split, garlic was roasted and the onion was nicely grilled. I pulled everything off the Weber to peel the tomatoes, chop the onion and mash the garlic.
05-14-2011012.jpg

Everything went into the Dutch oven with cup of bruised, fresh basil and a dash of red pepper flakes to spike the heat just enough to pop on the palate and compliment the savory flavor of the roasted and smoked plum tomatoes. Then back on to the Weber to meld the flavors, reduce the sauce and grill-smoke the turkey sausage.
05-14-2011016.jpg

And...here's the daily plate special. The sauce is served over Barilla Whole Grain thin spaghetti garnished with fresh basil and fresh grated Asiago cheese. The salad is grilled Romaine lettuce with a creamy, fresh grated parmesean cheese dressing. A delicious dinner. The sauce was light with a wonderful depth of flavor and bit of heat from the red pepper flakes. The grilled tomatoes were richly flavored with the right hint of hickory smoke and paired nicely with the garlic, onion and basil. The biggest surprise for me was the sausage. It was my first time cooking turkey Italian sausage and it was moist, flavorful and pleasantly popped with some heat. I will definitely do some more turkey sausage.

CarterQ

Chimichurri steak kabobs

Been looking for a different marinade for beef kabobs so last night we tried out kabobs with a chimichurri style marinade modified from Steven Raichlen.

Start with the meat, cubed up some Rib Eye steak

ceaab072.jpg

Made a marinade using crushed garlic paste, oregano, red chili flakes, cilantro, lime, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper.

6c1b10da.jpg

Mixed it up, since I was going to use the Marinade Express I needed some more liquid so I tossed in some beer.

6899785b.jpg

Everyone in the pool, including red and yellow peppers

98cd531d.jpg

Tumble for about 15 minutes

c51a40fb.jpg

Skewered up and ready for the Hasty Bake

ab8f6214.jpg

Onto the grill using oak lump and oak pellets for good measure

7bf63600.jpg

Sear for a minute a side

e26a67ce.jpg

Served up with some Cilantro lime rice and a cold one

334b0ab8.jpg

Delicious!

e0d6eefc.jpg

Last edited:

CarterQ

Grilled Apricots

Apricot season kicked off here is CA last week and I've been itching to grill some fresh fruit so here we go

Start with these

33395a6f.jpg

And some of this

44dda9a8.jpg

Halve them and pit them

0bce5ae0.jpg

Brush both sides with vegetable oil and on the grill at high heat (using oak lump and some peach pellets) face down until golden brown (about 2 1/2 minutes)

0125328f.jpg

Flip and grill for another minute or so

0823b8e3.jpg

Ready to go

d11389c1.jpg

While the fruit is resting toast up some almond slivers

b3dd256a.jpg

Melt the chocolate

695d172e.jpg

Drizzle the chocolate over the cots and top with almonds

167d6efc.jpg

Served up with a little fresh whipped cream

58c66e9f.jpg

This came out awesome and I plan on doing more fruit as the season progresses. If you do apriocts make sure and let them sit on the counter until they are starting to get soft, this will help mellow out some of the acid in the fruit.

Hobbit

Everyone is going full out this week. The only way this could get better is if the judge had to sample as well.

Good luck to everyone!

Top Bottom