Smoked spices

CarterQ

Been wanting to try making some smoked spices, has anybody tried this with their pellet cooker?

I would like to do some smoked salt, I have looked at some that are available commercially and they all seem to contain the ingredient of the devil, liquid smoke.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I'm getting ready to try doing my own hickory smoked paprika and thought I'd try smoking some salt as well.

I haven't done any yet, but I know temperature is an issue. My understanding is you have to cold smoke it so the oils in the spices don't heat up and get released.

I'm also going to try some smoked cayenne pepper, smoked carraway seed & maybe some smoked cumin. I like the way Carraway tastes after its been smoked on swiss cheese, so I bet it'll be good and cumin is one of those flavors that just seems like it'd be good smoked.

Last edited:

squirtthecat

I've done salt in my Bradley smoker... Haven't tried it in the pellet pushers yet.

Takes a while for the smoke to intermingle. I do it in large commercial coffee filters, so it can penetrate from the bottom. Just be sure to stir it every now and then.

Rip

Interesting thread Carter. I have dried and ground various homegrown peppers for years...like Tent, I plan to incorporate some pellet smoke into the process this year.

Top Bottom