Smoking Nuts

TentHunter

I know a major nut supplier and yesterday the wife and I picked up some nuts for smoking.

1 bag each: blanched peanuts, mixed nuts, cashews, and pistachios. I have a few ideas but am more than open to suggestions, for temps, times, flavors, etc.

What do you guys like or had success with?

scooter

I always have a supply of smoked almonds on my desk at work. I get them raw for $3.99/lb bulk at my Raleys. I do about 2lbs at a time. I put them in a large ziploc bag. I make a brine of 1/2CP water, 1.5 TBS kosher salt and add it to the bag and toss the nuts around until their all coated with the brine.
I use the upper rack of my MAK and a Frogmat then place the nuts on the frogmat. I set my temp at about 225 and fire up the Smoke Daddy loaded with hickory for an extra boost of smoke. I roast/smoke the almonds for 2.5 hours at 225 then let them cool. Wonderful! Smokey, crunchy with a touch of salt.

Bear

The only kind of nuts I have done is pecans. I coat them in melted butter, popcorn salt, and garlic salt, and smoke them at about 225 til they are done. Usually takes about 2 hrs.

Uinta smoking

Wow. Never thought of smoking nuts. I've got a large(the big size) zip lock bag of pecan halves that need to be used. I wish I had a smoke daddy.

CarterQ

Definite want to give smoked almonds a try, the liquid smoke infused ones you find at the store just don't cut it!

TentHunter

Thanks for the ideas everyone! The spicy smoked nuts look good. I'll be giving these ideas a try tomorrow (hopefully).

I did more in this thread , the hot squeeze ones were my favorite, pepper plant garlic second from this batch

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/sparky-judge-weeks-contest-970/

Deb, something is seriously wrong with that link you posted... every time I click on it and go to that thread I can't seem to scroll past your Chicken Cacciatore post and I end up staring at it for minutes at a time before I snap out of it :rolleyes:!

Top Bottom